Changes taking place in Chorley town centre We've agreed a £16m package of investment in the town centre that will see a huge amount of work taking place to attract more visitors. The highlights of the scheme include an extension to Market Walk shopping centre, which will bring a six-screen cinema, an M&S Foodhall with click and collect, high street retailers and restaurants to the town and a programme to improve the appearance of the rest of the town centre streets making it more pedestrian-friendly and a great place to enjoy your leisure time.
This work coincides with two other major projects – to create a new youth zone for Chorley, which is now open and proving really popular, and to build the Primrose Gardens retirement village on Fleet Street, which is due to open in spring 2019.
Timeline of activity
We have now started the main construction of the Market Walk shopping centre and wanted to update you on what will be happening when over the coming weeks. The key dates are:
• Steelwork construction underway
• Minor diversion of footpath linking Flat Iron to by-pass – Monday 28 January for two weeks
• Works on Union Street – spring (date TBC)
• Extension building looking finished to the exterior –July/August
• Tenant fit out – September – November
• Opening of the extension – scheduled for early December 2019