People looking for a great day or night out in 2019 are in for another action-packed year as Chorley Council announces details of its programme of events for the year, including a new event – the Chorley 10K.
After organising events that attracted have so far attracted over 60,000 people into the Chorley area this year, the authority is aiming to give even more people a great day out in 2019 and is urging families, couples and friends to mark the dates in their diaries and enjoy the festivities.
Visitor figures for the Chorley area continue to increase year on year with the most up-to-date figures from Marketing Lancashire showing that visitor numbers rose by 1.5% to £3.663million in 2017, which generated £182.470million for the local economy.
Councillor Peter Wilson, Deputy Leader of Chorley Council with responsibility for events, said: “We had another fantastic turnout for events this year and we want to continue improving the events so that they attract even more people to the Chorley borough.
“In 2019, we are introducing the Chorley 10K running race on Sunday 12 May, which will build on the success of the Couch to 5K running programme and enable hundreds of people to participate in one of our events. There will also be a strong family element to the event with more details, including the route and how to register, being released in the New Year.
“Every year we organise a wide range of events to suit a variety of interests and tastes and it is great to see the reputation of our events growing with so many people enjoying them.
“Our events programme covers everything from running to literature to flowers, music, theatre and general entertainment for the whole family.
“It’s vitally important that we continue to encourage people to check out Chorley as attracting visitors generates over £182 million for the Chorley economy and encourages people to visit time and time again.”
Events taking place in Chorley in 2019 include:
• What’s Your Story, Chorley on Saturday 30 March
• Chorley 10K on Sunday 12 May
• Check Out Chorley week from Saturday 27 May including Picnic in the Park on Sunday 2 June
• Picnic in the Park on Sunday 2 June
• A Taste of Chorley on Saturday 8 and Sunday 9 June
• Chorley Flower Show on Saturday 27 and Sunday 28 July
• Two Theatre in the Park performances in August
• Chorley Live on Friday 4 and Saturday 5 October
• Ghastly Astley in October
• Astley Bonfire and Fireworks on Friday 1 November
• Remembrance Day on Sunday 10 November
• Chorley’s Christmas Lights Switch On in November
• Astley Illuminated on Saturday 23 November
• Chorley’s Santa Express every weekend from Saturday 30 November to Sunday 22 December
• Chorley’s Christmas attraction from Saturday 7 December to Sunday 5 January
“One event not included in the calendar in 2019 is the Chorley Grand Prix,” said Councillor Wilson.
“While the Chorley Grand Prix was a great spectacle, there were very little opportunities for people to get involved and the cost of putting on the event was set to increase. For these reasons we decided to explore the possibility of introducing a running event and initial feedback has been extremely positive.”
For more information on events taking place in the Chorley borough as well as details of attractions to visit for a great day or night out, visit checkoutchorley.com
or pick up or download the latest edition of the What’s Happening in Chorley magazine, which you can see on the right hand side of this page.