Toggle menu

Freedom of information (FOI)

The Freedom of Information Act gives rights of access to information held by public authorities such as Chorley Council.

Anyone can ask for access to information the council holds, but there are rules under the Act that mean confidential or sensitive information may be exempt from being supplied.

If you would like to make a Freedom of Information request, you will need to let us know:

  • your name
  • your address (or email address)
  • what information you are asking us to provide, in as much detail as possible.


Make an FOI request

You can make a request by emailing or by writing to:

FOI Co-ordinator, Chorley Borough Council, Town Hall, Market Street, Chorley, Lancashire, PR7 1DP.

Normally, we will provide the information within 20 working days (around a month). If we need more time, we will write to you and tell you when we will be able to answer your request, and why we need more time. 

View more information on our Freedom of Information policy


Freedom of Information appeals

If you wish to make an appeal you should write, clearly stating your reasons for dissatisfaction to:

Director of Governance 
Chorley Borough Council
Civic Offices
Union Street

Tel: 01257 515151

We will send you an acknowledgement on receipt of your appeal. Your appeal will then be considered by an internal review, comprising of different officials to the ones who made the original decision about your request.

In most cases you will be told the outcome of your review within 3 weeks of receipt of your appeal. If your appeal is more complex, it may take longer to consider, you will be contacted and told when you should expect to hear the outcome. In any case this should be no longer than 6 weeks.

If your appeal is wholly, or partially, upheld you will be advised about any action that needs to be taken by us. If the decision is to release information previously withheld, we will let you know when you can expect to receive this.

If you are unhappy with how we have handled your request, you can contact the Information Commissioner. You are entitled to approach the Commissioner at any time; however, they will not generally consider a matter until the council's review procedure has been completed.

The Information Commissioner's website also gives more details about Freedom of Information.

The Information Commissioner can be contacted at:

Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House 
Water Lane


Business Rates FOIs

We regularly receive Freedom of Information requests regarding Business Rates.

Please note, our information is updated monthly and can be found here

Business Rates data June 2024 (Excel doc) [339KB]

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email