Toggle menu

Household Support Fund

Household Support Fund Phase 3

Household Support Fund 

The Department for Work and Pensions have announced an extension of the Household support fund to be made available to Councils in England to help with significant rising living costs. It is intended to help those who do not have enough resources to meet immediate short term needs and require assistance with essential items over the coming months.

In line with national guidance, the new phase will be prioritising and targeting support to people who have not been eligible for income related benefits and who have not had any other government cost of living support to date.

Support available

The scheme will be available to eligible Chorley residents from 28 November  to 31 March 2023.  However, depending on demand from residents the fund may close earlier so it is encouraged that you seek support early.

In Chorley we have developed our approach to distribute this funding by working collectively in partnership with our community organisations and voluntary groups to provide support whilst also linking residents with wider support.

The fund will help with short-term living costs such as food, energy and essential items.  The scheme will also signpost you to other sources of advice and assistance. 

Please note that Household Support Fund processing times for support may vary between organisations.  Please visit the cost of living support page if you require more immediate assistance.  

Type of requests will be not be covered by the Household Support Fund:

  • any requests for items that are not essential
  • applications from those with sufficient income or savings
  • requests for support where this is the responsibility of the landlord
  • priority will be given to those who have not been eligible for income related benefits and who have not had any other government cost of living support 


Support for energy - Citizens Advice Lancashire West

Citizens Advice Lancashire West are partnering with Chorley Council to support residents who are struggling with electricity, gas, and water costs.

It is recommended for help with fuel costs the best place to start is with your provider.  However, if you have done this and still need further help, please apply.

Submitting an application does not guarantee acceptance and we know this will be disappointing. In line with current guidance, priority is being given to households who are not on benefits and not in receipt of the Cost of Living Payments distributed by the DWP. 

The number of applications has constantly been greater than the funds available and we are in constant contact with the council as they are keen to ensure that all households have managed to get some support towards their energy costs. 

The fund is distributed in small amounts to help with energy costs and or towards arrears, but it is not available to cover a household's existing energy debts and if you get sent a voucher code from us, it might not be for the amount you were hoping for.

To apply, please complete the online application on our website via the link below, once received we will send you a secure link to upload your bank statement. Information is provided within the link for those unable to complete the online application or upload their bank statement.

Citizen's Advice Household Support Fund Application

Credit meter - where you pay your bill monthly or quarterly

Contact your supplier(s) and discuss what options are available to you.

Pre-payment meter - where you top up your meter using phone app, top up card etc.

Contact your supplier(s) and ask for emergency credit. If your supplier cannot help, then you need to call the National Debtline on 0808 240 4420.  For further information on how Citizens Advice Bureau can support residents, please visit their website.

Food and other essentials for Families

Home-Start Central Lancashire

Home-Start Central Lancashire is based in Chorley and offers a range of family support services. They are a local community network of trained volunteers and expert support staff, helping families with children through their challenging times.

They offer a home-visiting support service for families struggling with issues such as post-natal depression, early childhood development, isolation, challenging behaviour and much more.

Office hours are Monday to Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm.

Website - HomeStart Household Support Fund 

Telephone number - 01257 241636



Gateway - Chorley Help the Homeless

Food and essentials support - Food Parcels, toiletries and small household items can be provided and collected from The Gateway, Friday St, Chorley, PR6 0AA

Opening Times: 10am to 2pm on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday / 10am to 1pm on Friday's

Please drop in or contact via phone or email.

Telephone - 01257 220077

Email -

Include your name, the number of adults and children in your household, your phone number so that we can contact you and help provide best support


Food Support - Chorley Buddies Food Clubs

Weekly food provision is available each week in which you can access up to £25 worth of food supply to help support you and your household.

3 venues available to join with set weekly times for collections. Clubs also have a social activity element in which free refreshments are available.

Every Tuesday - St Joseph's Parish Centre - 10.30am

Every Wednesday - Coppull Methodist Church - 10.30am

Every Thursday - Buttermere Community Centre - 10.30am

If you would like to know more and register contact Chorley Buddies.


Tel. 01257 542367


Chorley United Reform Church / The Hollinshead Centre

Providing support with food through a mixture of hot meals and small food parcels. A warm place to be, with refreshments,

The Meeting Place (open 10am to 2pm) on Wednesdays and Thursdays, with lunch at around 12 both days.

A free hot take away meal is available on Thursday evenings at 5pm from the porch at the end of Byron Street.

If you would like to receive support, please contact us by:

Phone - 01257 760066 and select option 2 or

Email -


Living Waters Foodbank

Food and essentials support for non-children households

Residents can be supported with a food parcel which can be collected on Tuesday's and Friday's.  Contact must be made at least one day before collection for the parcel to be prepared.  They can also help support with small non-food related items.

Open Tuesdays and Fridays 10am to 2pm.  This service can be accessed by referral via an approved agency or contacting them direct and quoting Household Support Fund. 

For more information contact:

Living Waters Church,  33-35 Bolton Street, Chorley,  PR7 3AB  Email:     

Tel: 07889 747045 PR7AB 


St Laurence's Church - Food support

A range of support available from emergency food parcels to evening and lunchtime meal provision available every week Monday to Friday along with activity.


Emergency Food Support Parcel

If you cannot access support in evening and weekends and in a crisis for food - please contact us for help

Call 07763 226275 or email


Open Table - Hot Food Provision

Every Monday 5pm till 5.30pm

Each Monday evening, join us for a homemade main meal and pudding, served for you at the table. 

Tea, coffee and squash available.


Taste Cafe

Every week -  Thursday and Friday, 11am to 2pm

Tea and coffee, squash, hot soup, rolls, a selection of cakes and fruit, all available inside St Laurence 's Taste Cafe. 

'Pay what you can' basis, but donations not essential. 

Each day Lego Table and Colouring Station for children and also.

Every Thursday Join 'Talking Tables' from 11am


Warm Welcome

Every week - Thursday to Friday,  11am till 2pm

If you are likely to struggle to meet the rising costs of heating this winter, and would be at home on your own, why not spend some of your day at St Laurence's Church?

We have hot food available and activities including: jigsaws, a 'book nook', free warm and waterproof clothing available, 'working wardrobe' - clothes available for interviews and also a free basic haircut is available, Daily newspaper available and people around to chat with too.

Important information on accessing support

As this funding is allocated to Chorley residents in financial difficulties you may be asked to provide proof of residency or other supporting documentation, but our delivery partners will work with you to make this as simple as possible.

Our partner organisations will talk to you about your situation and work out the best way to help you including offering wider and if needed longer term support.

You can access support for food and essentials and fuel support, but you should only access the fund through one partner unless you are referred to a different delivery partner by one of the delivery partners.

Your details will be used to contact you about this support or refer you to one of the other delivery partners listed above if they are more appropriate to support you. We will also cross check applicant details provided between partners to prevent misuse of the fund. As Chorley Council are a delivery partner, we may also receive your details to provide support as part of this fund.

We may collate information to help us target support in the future and may ask if you would be willing to provide follow up information to advise how the fund has supported you.

Accessing help now

Food provision and wider support

If you need emergency support now with food provision, you can view more information on emergency food support,

If you need additional help or have further questions please contact Chorley Council on 01257 515151 or email  and use the description household support fund in your email.


Energy and Debt

Please look at the links below to understand what support you can access, tips to maximise your income, what discounts and offers are available and how to access debt (including with your energy supplier) support.

Help for Households - GOV.UK

Cost of living payments provided by the government - GOV.UK

Grants and benefits to help pay your energy bills - Citizens Advice

If you have not received your disability cost of living payment, you should report a missing cost of living payment on the GOV.UK website

Benefits Calculator - Citizens Advice

Over 50 with a Workplace or Personal Pension?  Some people may be considering accessing their pension savings to help with issues like energy bills, debt, or to cover everyday essentials. Pension Wise which is delivered by Citizens Advice specialists. It offers free, impartial guidance to people over 50 with a workplace or personal pension and can help them understand their options. You can get pension advise on the Money Help website or by calling 0800 138 3944

Get help if you are struggling to pay your bills - Citizens Advice

Do you have a deduction on your Universal Credit payments?  Contact your Job Centre or put a note on your journal asking for a review

Do you rent your property from a housing association? Contact your association as they may have funds you can access

Support with energy bills - Citizens Advice

Help with gambling problems - Citizens Advice

If you require any support with debt you can also use the Citizens Advice webchat service

Or call the national Debt Advice helpline on 0800 240 4420 Lines are open Monday to Friday 8am to 7pm

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email