Chorley Together

Doing​ what we can to protect our communities and most vulnerable. 

  • Supporting you - Employment & Training 

    Click here ​for information on employment and training support. ​

  • Shielding 

    Shielding is coming to an end on 1 August. Make sure you are ready for the change and consider how to seek support if you need it. Read more.​

  • If you need help. Let us know. You are not alone. 

    For anyone who is really struggling we have set up a dedicated team of people to help.

    Call 01257 515 151  or email​

    The phone line will be open from 9am-5pm Monday to Friday. 

    There will be an out of hours service available and more detail will follow.

  • Help with council tax 

    We know people may be struggling financially so if you need help with your council tax payments due to the virus please get in touch and we will see what we can do. To request help email or call 01257 515431. We are also looking at national support on this and will update further when we have more information.

  • Helping others in the community 

    There has been a huge response from the Chorley community to help each other.

    This is wonderful to see and we want to help and support you to do this in any way we can.

    Some people are offering help by dropping a note through doors of people they know who are perhaps already isolated with limited family or support networks around them.

    Remember to follow the health guidelines issued at​ if you are doing this and keep yourself safe at all times.

  • Funding for Community groups and organisations in response to COVID-19 

    A number of funding providers have launched dedicated fund channels for community groups and organisations to help them to deliver provisions for our most vulnerable residents.

    If you have an idea that would help your community and need funding, see the below providers and links to submit your application. If you apply and are successful, let us know!

    Lancashire Covid-19 Community Support Fund

    Community Foundation for Lancashire has launched the Lancashire COVID-19 Community Support Fund for community and voluntary organisations on the frontline.

    Funding will be initially awarded under the following priorities:

    • Foodbanks

    • Food/care package delivery to vulnerable people self-isolating

    • Delivery of services and projects supporting the most vulnerable, such as older people e.g. a telephone support/friendship service or delivering online activities to help reduce isolation

    • Emotional and mental health wellbeing, including domestic abuse

    • Financial Inclusion, support to access benefits and debt advice


    Apply -


    National Lottery Community Fund

    The Fund has two key objectives:

    • To increase community support to vulnerable people affected by the COVID-19 crisis, through the work of civil society organisations.

    • To reduce temporary closures of essential charities and social enterprises, ensuring services for vulnerable people impacted by COVID-19 have the financial resources to operate, and so reduce the burden on public services.


    Coronavirus Community Support Fund – under £10,000


    Coronavirus Community Support Fund – over £10,000


    Awards for All


    Jigsaw Foundation Fund

    The Jigsaw Foundation offer funds for projects which make a difference to the lives of our residents and their communities. The fund is open to charities, residents and community groups, voluntary organisations, social enterprises and local partner agencies.

    Particularly interested in receiving applications which are resident led. All projects must positively

    impact at least one of the themes:


    • Health and wellbeing and social inclusion

    • Employment, individual capacity building, enterprise and training

    • Environmental improvement

    • Sustaining tenancies

    • Financial and digital inclusion


    For more details contact the Jigsaw Foundation team on 0300 111 1133





    Tesco Bags of Help

    Tesco Bags of Help has responded to the current COVID-19 crisis by setting up a new fund to support local communities. In order respond quickly to the emergency we have created a streamlined application and payment process to make it easier to get funds out quickly.

    The programme will provide a single payment award of £500 to organisations who are supporting vulnerable groups, as part of their emergency response in supporting local communities.


    Typically, the fund will support organisations that have experienced


    Increased demand – a holiday hunger club needs more resources to support children through the summer months or a food bank whose stocks are running low and needs an immediate donation to enable the food bank to restock.

    Disrupted services – a local charity setting up a delivery service to replace its monthly lunch club, or a charity needing to set up a telephone service to support beneficiaries.

    New services – a health focused charity having to set up a new online patient service requires new IT equipment or a mental health charity developing a new service.



    Sport England – Community Emergency Fund

    Any organisation delivering community sport and physical activity can apply to our fund if it’s experiencing short term financial hardship or the ceasing of operations due to the impact of coronavirus


    More Funding

    For more details on funding please see our main funding webpage at   

  • Disruption to income (Universal Credit & Council Tax) 

    Universal Credit
    For households whose income has been impacted by coronavirus; in most cases a claim will need to be made for Universal Credit.
    The first payment following a claim will normally be made five weeks following a claim however, advance payments can be made for those who will struggle during this time.

    Claims for Universal Credit are done online. Click here to apply.

    For those whose income has dropped as a result of becoming sick then the four-day waiting period to receive Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) has been removed. SSP will be also payable for those staying at home on government advice who are not symptomatic, not just those who are sick.

    Click here for further information about claiming benefits as a result of coronavirus.

    Council Tax
    Should you find that you have been impacted financially you may be eligible for Council Tax Support. This will lower your bill for the period that you are entitled, making it easier to meet the instalments.

    In 2020/21 those entitled to full Council Tax Support will have no contribution to make while they are entitled.​

    Council Tax Support Claim Form​ (Click on Apply for it, followed by Council Tax, then Council tax support e-claim)

  • Housing & Accomodation  

    Local Housing Allowance Rates
    There have been announcements by Government that no new possession cases will be brought for three months, meaning that the risk of eviction has been removed. However, households will still be liable for their rent, and so it is important that where possible rent gets paid.

    Should you be in a position where you may struggle to pay your rent it is important to speak to your landlord so that they understand the situation and the steps being taken to meet the rent costs.

    Rented Accomodation
    Where income has been disrupted as a result of coronavirus then Housing Costs in the rented sector can be met as part of a Universal Credit claim (see above).In the private sector, the maximum that can be claimed is based on the Local Housing Allowance (LHA) for the bedroom requirement of your household.
    Where there is a shortfall between this and your rent, the Council has additional funding through Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) which may be available.

    Owner Occupiers
    For households with mortgages, the Government has worked with lenders to agree that those impacted by coronavirus can have up to a three-month mortgage payment holiday.

    These payments will have to be made up following this, and interest will be charged on these amounts. Please contact your lender to discuss any difficulties with making payments.

    Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) is available for those households who have been on a qualifying benefit for a period of 39 weeks.

    This takes the form of a payment to cover interest payments due on the mortgage, and is repayable.

    Private Landlords

    It has been announced that the three-month mortgage payment holiday has been extended to buy to let mortgages. As above, please contact your lender to discuss this.

    Should your tenant be in a position where they are struggling to meet their rent, please signpost them to the above advice with assistance to meeting their rent, to minimise the impact.


  • Prepay meters 

    If you are on a prepay meter and are cannot afford to pay for electricity or gas, or are self-isolating phone the relevant company if you have a prepay meter tell them your self-isolating and they will send you out 2 week’s worth of gas / electricity or if you have a smart meter they will top you up.

    British Gas: 0333 202 9802

    EDF: 0333 200 5100

    EON: 0345 052 000

    N Power: 0800 073 3000

    Scottish Power: 0800 027 0072

    SSE: 0345 026 2658

  • Volunteering 

    Many people have expressed that they would like to be able to help as a volunteer.

    We have a number of groups who really need some additional volunteers right now.

    Please send your details to​ or call 01257 515 151 and hold to be directed to a customer services agent.

  • How local businesses can help

    We are aware that lots of local businesses are changing the way they work in response to the situation.

    Some have introduced distancing rules on their premises to allow the public to still access services or have changed their service so that they can deliver goods usually collected or purchased.

    If you are a local business or service who has adapted, please email us at​ or call on 01257 515151 so that we can pass this on to those who may need your services.

  • Businesses still serving our communities

    Please see below directories of businesses that are still open and serving communities through deliveries.

    Local businesses selling food and groceries​

  • Support for Young People

    Inspire Youth Zone

    Crisis text line for young people – 07984 357 293
    The phone number is manned by experienced youth workers. Open 10am-9pm.
    Outside of hours contact Young Minds: Text YM to 85258

    Inspire Chorley Youth Zone, is a community charity investing in thousands of young people across Chorley and surrounding areas. Their purpose-built facility for the borough’s young people aged 8 – 19, and up to 25 for those with disabilities provides a fun, safe and inspirational environment for many of our communities’ young people and for some, a critical lifeline.

    As part of their Covid-19 response in partnership with Chorley Council / South Ribble Council, the charity has set up a number of support resources and extended these for ALL young people across Chorley and South Ribble including:

    - Crisis text line manned by experienced youth workers – 07584 357 293
    - A range of daily virtual activities for young people (and adults!) to enjoy at home including quizzes, games, debates and keep fit sessions.

    Visit or​ for further support.

  • Homelessness

    The Council will continue to provide assistance to those who are homeless, or are threatened with homelessness.

    The Housing Solutions team can be contacted through the main contact number of 01257 515151, or​. ​ Appointments will be conducted via telephone while the offices at Union Street remain closed.

    For reports of rough sleeping these can be done via contacting the Council in the usual way, or alternatively through StreetLink​. This is a national scheme whereby information is passed on to Councils so that they can engage with those identified as rough sleeping.

  • Domestic Abuse

    With self-isolation, school closures, and general uncertainty at the current time there is an increased risk of Domestic Abuse incidents occurring, or existing situations worsening.

    Support is still available for those looking to discuss their situation or are looking to flee an abusive relationship.

    Should you feel in immediate danger then always call 999.

    Safenet – provision of floating support, as well as refuge accommodation. Website Link: Safenet Telephone: 0300 3033581 Email:

    Support can also be found at:

    Lancashire Victim Services (LVS) - they have put together some guidance around self-isolating with an abuser -

    Clare House Womens Refuge - Helpline Number 01772 435865 (24 hr)
    Womens Aid -

    Concerns for a neighbour -"I’ve heard fighting going on at my next-door neighbour’s house. What can I do to stop it happening?"

    This can be a difficult problem as, being a neighbour, you don’t necessarily know the people very well and you don’t know exactly what’s happening. However, if you hear an incident and think that a neighbour is in danger, or any children they may have, then we would suggest contacting the police. The police have a responsibility to respond and to undertake a risk assessment where there is domestic abuse taking place. If there are children in the house and you are concerned for their safety you could consider contacting social services. They would be able to work with the parent to help her protect her children from harm. If possible, you could mention to your neighbour that you’ve overheard some fighting and that you’re worried about him/her. You can then encourage him/her to seek some help.
    There will be options available to help him/her put a stop to what’s going on.

    Concerns about a child - If you are concerned about the welfare of a child, please contact Lancashire County Council Children's Services.

    Concerns about an adult -  If you are concerned about the welfare of an adult, please contat Lancashire County Council Adult Social Care.

  • Mental Health and Wellbeing
  • Staying aware – fraudulent activity and scammers during Covid-19

    While the vast majority of people are doing what they can to help people in their communities, there are a small number who are using this as an opportunity to prey on the most vulnerable.

    Please see a recent consumer alert from Lancashire County Council​ outlining common scamming activity so you can be aware. If you are unsure about anything, please let us know by calling 01257 515 151 and pressing zero when prompted or email​

    There is also some useful information as part of the National 'Take 5' anti-fraud campaign.​