Covid-19 (coronavirus) information

The coronavirus pandemic is currently causing major disruption to how we lead our daily lives and this page contains all the latest information, what support is available and how you can help.

For the latest information on Coronavirus, please visit:

What you need to do...

Please click here for the latest government guidance about what you can and can’t do.

The most common symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) are recent onset of:

• new continuous cough and/or
• high temperature
• a loss of, or change to, your sense of smell or taste
Further information is available here:​
  • Business support 
  • Chorley Together - Community Support 

    Chorley Together - Doing​ what we can to protect our communities and most vulnerable. Click here to find out more.​

  • Help with council tax 

    We know people may be struggling financially so if you need help with your council tax payments due to the virus please get in touch and we will see what we can do. To request help email​ or call 01257 515431. We are also looking at national support on this and will update further when we have more information.

  • How do I avoid catching or spreading coronavirus 

    The advice is:
    • Stay at home as much as possible 
    • Work from home if you can
    • Limit contact with other people
    • Stay 2 metres (6ft) away from other people
    • Wash your hands regularly
    • Do not leave home if an​yone in your household has symptoms

     For full guidance on staying at home and away from others, please visit:

    For further information, please visit:

    For information on what you can and can't do, please visit:

  • Accessing our services 

    Following government guidance regarding coronavirus, our Union Street Office is currently closed to the public until further notice. We apologise for this inconvenience but we're sure you'll understand this necessary measure to protect both customers and staff from infection. Many things, such as bill payments and reporting issues can be done on this website. You can also contact us by phone on 01257 515151.

    We have plans in place to ensure services continue as close to normal as possible but it is likely some services will be affected in the coming weeks - we will update here if the situation changes.

  • Building Closures 

    Union Street Office
    Our Union Street Office is currently closed to the public until further notice. Many things, such as bill payments and reporting issues can be done on this website. You can also contact us by phone on 01257 515151.

    Leisure Centres
    Our leisure centres operated by Active Nation Chorley will be closed until further notice following guidance from the Government.

    Although parks and open spaces may remain open, some park facilities are closed (e.g. public toilets, play areas). Tennis courts and bowling greens are open, however we urge you to follow latest guidelines when using them.

    At all times, you should continue to observe social distancing guidelines when you are outside your home, including ensuring you are 2 metres away from anyone outside your household. 

    For latest government advice on public spaces /outdoor activities and exercise, please visit:

    Play areas
    Play areas are closed until further notice.

    Astley Hall and Park

    Astley Hall is remains closed. Schools' programme and exhibitions will be either cancelled or postponed until further notice.

    Although the park’s open space remains open, some park facilities are closed (e.g. public toilets, play areas, pets corner - staff and students will continue to attend the site to care for the animals).

    Tennis courts and bowling greens are open however we urge you to follow latest guidelines when using them.

    For latest government advice on public spaces /outdoor activities and exercise, please visit:​

    Chorley Markets
    Due to the current government guidance on social separation, with the exception of traders selling food products essential in supporting residents, we have taken the decision to cancel the Tuesday Street Market.

    The covered market will be closed except for essential food stalls on the perimeter (which are operating Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday only) until further notice.​

    To help with maintaining social distancing, just one toilet will remain open - the main toilets will be closed.​ 

    Community Centres
    Community Centres are now closed (and their nursery groups no longer operating) until further notice.

    All Lancashire County Council libraries are closed until further notice, in an effort to prevent the spread of coronavirus.
    You can find further information and links to online resources here:

    Household Waste Recycling Centres

    Lancashire County Council has announced that it will reopen 12 recycling centres, including Chorley, by appointment only from Friday 15 May.

    For full guidance, including how to make an appointment, please visit the Lancashire County Council website​

    West Street Car Park
    West St car park is now closed to the public (for both parking and pedestrian thoroughfare). This will allow access and parking for The Chorley Surgery COVID-19 portakabins only.

  • Events and Meetings 

    All council meetings have been postponed indefinitely and we are now following the constitution, which allows decisions ordinarily taken by full council to be made by the chief executive in consultation with the leader and deputy leader. And the executive members will be able to exercise their functions through executive member decisions. 

    Details on agenda papers and decisions can be found here.

    • We have made the decision to postpone this year's Chorley 10k & 2K Family run until Sunday 30 August. If you are registered for the event, please click here to find out more information.​

    • All other events are due to take place as planned but these will be under constant review. You’ll appreciate we have more pressing matters to deal with at the moment and will make any announcements on future events in due course and good time.

  • Local elections 

    The local elections scheduled for Thursday 7 May have been cancelled by the Government and will take place next year.

  • Planning conditions and supporting the response 

    To help ensure supermarkets can replenish their stock we are following the government advice to have a pragmatic approach to enforcing planning conditions relating to night-​time deliveries. We appreciate this may cause some disruption for residents living close to supermarkets but we hope you can understand the decision. We expect the drivers and staff unloading to be courteous and will monitor the situation.

  • Waste - including disposal of infected waste 

    Garden Waste
    To help people out with their finances at this difficult time we are delaying taking payments for garden waste collections until July.

    Renewals for the 2020/21 collection year would be due this month (April) but we appreciate people may prefer not to have another payment to make at the current time.
    We will continue to empty garden waste collection bins as normal for now but we won’t be issuing new stickers until July.
    The subscription year will still run from 1 May until 30 April and we will remind everyone of how and when they can pay nearer the time.
    During these challenging times we are focusing our resources on maintaining existing collections and are not accepting any new garden waste subscriptions for the time being.

    If you haven’t got a garden waste collection here are a few tips as to what you can do:

    - Have a compost bin or heap and add material including old plants, soft prunings and kitchen waste that will not attract rats, such as fruit and veg peelings.

    - Bury soft garden waste when digging empty plots including the vegetable garden;

    - Avoid bonfires, because recent windy weather has left material very dry so it may burn too fast and risk fires getting out of control. Read more about nuisance fires here.​

    - Woody prunings can be cut up with secateurs and stacked to rot in an out of the way place to help wildlife or, snipped fine, spread back on the ground amongst trees and shrubs.

    - Pruning now can disturb birds so only do it if you are sure no birds are nesting in the shrub or hedge. Otherwise leave pruning until September.

    - Bundles of twigs and hollow stems can be tied up and wedged in walls, trees or in boxes to make resting and nesting areas for insects.

    You can also find some useful information on waste and recycling here.

    Disposal of infected waste
    We have issued guidance for residents to change the way waste is handled at properties where possible COVID-19 cases have been identified. The advice is specifically for households who are currently self-isolating or households where one or more persons have mild symptoms as identified by the recent national guidance.

    Read guidance here:​

    Household waste recycling centres

    Lancashire County Council has announced that it will reopen 12 recycling centres, including Chorley, by appointment only from Friday 15 May.

    For full guidance, including how to make an appointment, please visit the Lancashire County Council website​

    Large/bulky item collection requests
    Until further notice, we won’t be taking any large item collection requests. 

  • Market Walk 

    Some stores in Market Walk are currently closed in line with latest government guidelines about reducing the spread of coronavirus. Some stores that provide essential food items and chemists may still be open. For the latest information please follow on Facebook:​

  • What's happening at Chorley & South Ribble Hospital? 

    Services available at Chorley & South Ribble Hospital’s Urgent Care Centre

    The emergency department at Chorley and South Ribble Hospital (CDH) will be temporarily replaced by an urgent care service. The service will be provided by a combination of healthcare professionals. The vast majority of people who currently attend the emergency department at CDH can still have their needs met safely and appropriately by the urgent care service.

    What will the Urgent Care Centre (UCC) provide?
    Most patients with minor injury or illness can be treated by an urgent care service. The UCC will provide a prompt and timely treatment of minor injury and illness 24 hours a day, such as (but not limited to):
    Minor nose bleeds
    Cuts, bites and stings
    Burns and scalds
    Infections (including abscesses)
    Foreign bodies in wounds, ears and noses
    Muscular sprains and strains to shoulders, arms and legs
    Fractures to shoulders, arms, legs & ribs
    Dislocations of fingers, thumbs and toes
    Minor eye conditions including conjunctivitis and foreign bodies
    Minor chest, neck and back injuries
    Minor head injuries with no loss of consciousness or alcohol-related
    Minor allergic reactions
    Minor ailments such as earache, urinary tract infections and sinusitis
    Diarrhoea / Constipation Emergency contraception

    Some patients will require the services provided at Royal Preston Hospital and pathways remain in place to care for them. These include:
    Extensive trauma
    Extensive burns
    Patients requiring resuscitation
    Suspected acute heart attack
    Suspected acute stroke
    High risk gastrointestinal haemorrhage
    Sick children (cardiac arrest/peri-arrest, head injuries)

    The UCC will continue to treat a range of conditions and ambulance cases, such as chest pain, frailty and other non-respiratory medical cases. Having available beds at Chorley will enable the admission of patients that would normally go to Preston, utilising the expertise of the hospital Consultants.

    When will these changes start?
    From Wednesday 1st April, the emergency department and critical care provision at CDH will be reconfigured into a 24 hour UCC. This will be supported by ambulatory care, the inpatient and acute medical teams, GPs and specialist surgical teams.

    Is this a permanent change to services?
    A date for the services to return to their former function cannot be set while we are managing the Coronavirus pandemic, however a thorough plan to safely de-escalate the temporary changes is being prepared.

  • Dental & Pharmacy Provisions 

    Dental Provisions 

    What to do if you have a dental problem during COVID-19 pandemic:

    If you have a dental issue during lock down, it is important that you know how to access help when you need it.
    All high street dental and orthodontic practices can give advice, guidance and prescriptions which you can collect from your local pharmacy.
    If you are in pain or in need of support and need advice, please telephone your dental practice in the usual way. If you are not registered with a dentist, please visit or call the Dental Helpline for Lancashire 0300 1234 010.

    Pharmacy Provisions

     For information on Chorley Pharmacies, please click here.​

  • Travel advice for those travelling and living overseas 

    Foreign & Commonwealth Office travel advice​ is constantly under review, so that it reflects latest assessment of risks to British people.

    For further information please visit: