Environmental Health

People in Chorley should be able to lead a safe and healthy lifestyle and we treat this with paramount importance. We will send an emergency response team to certain hazards. If you want to report any of these dangers contact us.

What we provide an emergency response for
• Serious pollution - chemicals, smoke, fumes etc. which threaten life or limb
• Food poisoning outbreak - only if you are a proprietor of a food premises reporting allegations from customers
• Dangerous waste - unknown chemicals, sharp objects

Chorley is surrounded by some fantastic scenery and the environment is very important to people who live here. We are committed to promoting and preserving the environment through the services we offer.

We also issue licences for animal, food and drink establishments and other services. More information can be found on the licensing page.
  • ​Counter Terrorism

    Counter terrorism

    Current threat level

    The current threat from international terrorism can be viewed on the MI5 Website.

    What you can do to help
    The police and the security and intelligence agencies depend on information from the public. Be their eyes and ears and help keep yourself, your family and your local community safe by looking out for any activity that seems to be unusual and reporting it to the police, in confidence.

    If anything gives you cause for concern, do not rely on someone else – act on it. Find out about what kind of activity and behaviour you should report on the Action Counters Terrorism (ACT) website.
    If you have any information about unusual activity or behaviour, you can report it in confidence:
    • Report your concerns to concern@lancashire.pnn.police.uk​
    • Call the police confidentially on 0800 789 321
    • If you think a threat is imminent call the police on 999

     Online material
     You can also report illegal or harmful information, pictures or videos you’ve found on the internet such as:
    • articles, images, speeches or videos that promote terrorism or encourage violence
    • content encouraging people to commit acts of terrorism
    • websites made by terrorist or extremist organisations
    • videos of terrorist attacks
    Report online material anonymously on the Home Office website
     Further information
    • Action Counters Terrorism (ACT) website 
    • Follow the ACT campaign on Twitter and Facebook.
    ACT Awareness eLearning  is a new Counter Terrorism awareness product designed for all UK based companies and organisations.
     Introduction to Prevent
    Prevent is part of the UK's counter terrorism strategy. It aims to prevent people from supporting violent extremism and all forms of potential terrorism, such as Al Qaeda, Daesh inspired, far right, Irish republican, animal rights, faith-based extremism and other types of terrorism in all its forms.
    Like all local authorities, the council has a legal duty to prevent people from being drawn into terrorism under the Counter-Terrorism and Security Act 2015. We work with local partners to protect the public, prevent crime and to promote strong, integrated communities.
     Preventing violent extremism is one of the ‘4 Ps’ within the government’s strategy for countering violent extremism, known as Contest:

    • Prevent - stopping people becoming terrorists or supporting violent extremism
    • Pursue - stopping terrorist attacks
    • Protect - strengthening protection against terrorist attacks
    • Prepare - where an attack cannot be stopped, mitigating its impact

    The current Prevent strategy is made up of three key objectives
     • Respond to the ideological challenge of terrorism and of those extremist views conducive to it.
     • Prevent vulnerable people from being drawn into terrorism and ensure that they are given appropriate advice and    support.
     • Work with sectors and institutions where there are either risks of radicalisation or opportunities to prevent it –       or both. This includes education, faith, health, charities, prisons and probation. The strategy spells out what the   government is planning in each area and looks at the particular issue of the internet.

  • Hate Crime

    Hate Crime and incidents Hate crimes are targeted at a person because of hostility or prejudice towards that person’s:
    • disability
    • race or ethnicity
    • religion or belief
    • sexual orientation
    • transgender identity

    The behaviour can be committed against a person or property, and a victim does not have to be a member of the group at which the hostility is targeted. A hate incident can almost feel like a crime but where the law may not have been broken. If you are unsure, you can contact a specialist agency who can offer you guidance and support you to report to the police if you feel this is the best course of action for you.

    Lancashire Constabulary 7 minute briefing explaining Hate Incidents here

    REPORT a HATE CRIME or HATE INCIDENT with the Police
    • In an emergency always ring 999
    • For non-emergencies ring 101 OR at a Lancashire third party reporting center listed here

    Or click on the links below.
    True Vision
    Lancashire LGBT
    Lancashire Victim Services​

  • Stray Dogs/Found Dogs

    If a member of the public finds a stray dog this must be reported to Chorley Council. If they want to keep the dog a council officer will attend to check for a microchip.


    A form, available on request from the council, must be completed stating that the finder wants to keep the dog. The finder must keep the dog for at least 21 days unless the owner comes forward. If the finder no longer wants to keep it, they should advise Chorley Council who will arrange to collect the dog.


    The reclamation fee for your dog is £80.00 plus any kennelling/transport/veterinary fees incurred, this must be paid prior to the dog being returned to you. Chorley

    Council does not offer instalment plans or concessionary rates.


    A dog will be kept for seven days after which it becomes the property of the kennels who will then make every endeavour to rehome it.


    During office hours (8:45 - 17:00 Monday to Friday) Chorley Council will do their best to return your dog providing the microchip details are correct. If not, the dog will be transported to the kennels then the owner will be served with a notice requiring them to either get the dog chipped within 21 days or get the details on the chip updated.

    Failure to update details or have the dog microchipped is an offence and can result in a fine.


    The lost and found dog kenneling provider is Animal Wardens who can be contacted on 01257 543083 (out of hours). The cost of reclaiming a seized dog is £80 before a dog is taken to kennels and then an additional £14.40 a day thereafter. If a dog has received veterinary treatment owners will also be required to pay the cost. The out of hours telephone service operates between 17:00 and 9.00 hours Monday to Friday and 24 hours Saturdays and Sundays.


    This service is for stray dogs only.


    Chorley Council does not provide a rehoming service but can assist by advising of charities who may be able to help. It is the owner’s responsibility to ensure their dog is rehomed safely and responsibly.


    Dangerous dogs should be reported to the police by telephoning 101.

  • Dog Micro-Chipping and Stray Dog release fee update

    Dog Micro-Chipping
    From 6th April 2016, by law, all dogs must be micro-chipped in England under the Micro-Chipping of Dogs (England) Regulations. All puppies must also be micro-chipped by the time they are 8 weeks old. There are some exceptional circumstances to this legislation;

    • if a veterinarian has certified the dog as a working dog and docked its tail in accordance with the Animal welfare Act 2006. In this case, the time limit for the dog to be microchipped and details recorded with a database is extended to 3 months.
    • When a veterinarian certifies that a dog should not be microchipped for health reasons. In such cases a vet would have to certify in writing that this was the case, and state when the exemption expires.

    The new rules which come into force in England next month, will not only protect the welfare of dogs and promote responsible ownership, but also make it easier to track down the owners of dogs that carry out attacks on people.

    We also expect that in instances where as a Council we pick up stray dogs, then we will be able to re-unite these dogs back with their rightful owner if they are micro-chipped.

    The soon to be compulsory procedure is inexpensive and ranges from £10-£30 via your local veterinary surgery, with many charities and animal shelters offering to carry it out for free.

    This cost is very low compared to the potential £500 fine that will be issued to those dog owners who fail to comply with this legislation and do not microchip their dog after 6th April 2016.

    More information can be found on GOV.UK, chip it check it and The Kennel club websites on the right hand side under Useful Links.

    Stray Dog Release Fee
    From 1st April 2016, Chorley Council will increase the dog reclamation fee to a standard £80 charge plus the daily rate of our kennelling fees up to a period of 7 days. After this time, an unclaimed dog will become the responsibility and ownership of the Council.

    We have needed to increase this charge as we use a combination of our own staff and an external kennelling contractor to ensure that we continue to provide an excellent stray dog pick up service in the Borough. In addition, our fees are now in line with neighbouring councils in the area. This increase is part of our strategy to encourage responsible dog ownership across the borough.

  • Bees

    We will not treat bees of any kind.

    Types of Bees
    •  Bumble bees - Often confused with honeybees, they are rounder, larger and furrier with coloured stripes. Leave them alone if possible as they are an important cross pollinator and they very rarely sting. They are usually found in bird boxes and compost heaps. Beekeepers will not collect or remove bumble bees.

    • Solitary bees - Small bees with red/brown bottoms, they are furry and around 4-15mm in length. These are harmless and live alone or in small groups. They are usually found in brickwork, cavities or in soil. They are most active in April, May and early June. Bee keepers will not remove these bees.

    Honeybees – Small and can vary in colour from golden brown to almost black. They swarm and can be found inside roof spaces, behind soffits and facia boards, in wall cavities, sheds, garages or anywhere they will be protected from the weather. Please contact a beekeeper for advice on relocating the colony or refer to the British Beekeepers Association.

    Wasps can be treated
    • These are bright yellow with black stripes and a smooth texture. High pitched buzzing noise. Wasps are attracted to sweet things. They build round nests usually in trees and sheds. Wasps can be treated by Chorley council, to request a visit from the pest control officers use the do it online section of the website. There will be a charge for this treatment.

  • Community safety

    Community Safety is one of our top priorities. We are working hard with other agencies such as the Police to reduce crime and the fear of crime among our residents and visitors. We work in partnership with a number of agencies through the Safer Chorley and South Ribble Partnership to improve community safety. The Community Safety Partnership Plan sets out how we are going to ensure that your streets and neighbourhoods remain some of the safest in the country.

    Anti-social behaviour
    Tackling anti-social behaviour is a priority for the Chorley and South Ribble Community Safety Partnership. We've just agreed to the Anti-Social Behaviour pledge which sets out what we will do to tackle the problem.

    Contact us if you would like anymore information about Community Safety in Chorley. 

    For more information about Community Safety in Lancashire see the Safer Lancashire website.

    Community Trigger
    The Community Trigger is a way that members of the public can ask the Community Safety Partnership to review their responses to complaints of anti-social behaviour.

    Please download the Community Trigger Information document for more information about the community trigger, what it is, how to use it and what to expect.

    Alley gates
    The alley gate scheme is something we have rolled out to a number of different areas in Chorley. It works by providing lockable gates at the end of alleyways between terraced houses and only residents have a key. The gates are kept locked. Most domestic burglaries are committed through the rear of property especially in terraced houses. By restricting access to the back of the property with gates it is helping to reduce crime.

    Alley gate schemes which are properly implemented and maintained, can significantly reduce domestic burglary. Alley gate schemes can also give residents a greater sense of security in their homes and improve community relations.

    At the moment we are not taking any new applications for alley gates.

    Home security
    Most crime is against property and not many crimes are carefully planned. Most crimes are committed on the spur of the moment when possessions are left in a car or doors or windows to a house are left open.

    You can reduce the risk by securing your home and car. This will also help the police by giving them more time to tackle serious crime. That's good for you and your family because it makes your neighbourhood a safer place to live in.

    Lancashire Police - crime prevention offer some simple steps to help reduce crime.

    Domestic Homicide Reviews
    ​Domestic Homicide Reviews (DHRs) were established on a statutory basis under Section 9 of the Domestic Violence, Crime and Victims Act (2004) which came into effect on 13 April 2011. Under guidance issued by the Home Office, any incident of domestic violence or abuse which results in death of the victim requires a DHR to be carried out by the local Community Safety Partnership.

    The purpose of the multi-agency re​view is to ensure that agencies are responding appropriately to victims of domestic violence and to apply any lessons learned through an action plan or recommendations.

    The DHR for the death of David in August 2015 is available under the Download It section.

    Neighbourhood Watch
    Neighbourhood Watch schemes are a way for people in an area to get together to help prevent crime and make their neighbourhood a safer place.

    You can access the Chorley and District Neighbourhood Watch Association online and they can provide more information on Neighbourhood Watch in your area.

    Neighbourhood working
    Neighbourhood Working within Chorley provides support for community groups, volunteers and residents to make a difference at a local level. By providing advice, information and funding for local projects in each Neighbourhood Area.
    We are divided into 7 Neighbourhood Areas and within each Neighbourhood we facilitate activities, environmental improvements and community projects sponsored by the ward Councillors. This process allows anyone with an interest in the neighbourhood to make an application for funding, resources, equipment and assistance from us and other agencies to deliver the project.

    Our Neighbourhood Development Officer, will provide assistance to applicants for all Neighbourhood and Environmental Projects, helping to arrange the allocation of funds and linking in with other agencies and partners to ‘Make it Happen’.

    If you need help and support for a project or there is an issue which you need help with in your Neighbourhood Area then you can contact us for more information.

    Personal safety
    Remember most crimes happen against property rather than people and crime is relatively low in Chorley but there are things you can do to help protect yourself.
    Lancashire Police offer some simple tips to prevent yourself from being a victim of crime.

    MADE (Multi-Agency Data Exchange)
    The MADE project collects and processes data on behalf of all the agencies responsible for working towards a safer Lancashire. The team publish community safety profiles of wards and other small areas. This intelligence informs the commissioning of community safety services, the evaluation of initiatives, monitoring of progress and service planning.

    For the public, community safety statistics about your local area can be accessed from the Lancashire Statistics page. More general research and statistics on community safety in Lancashire are available from the community safety section of Lancashire Profile.

    Enter your postcode, town or street name to get street-level maps and data about policing, and details of your local policing team and beat meetings.

  • Cooling tower notification

    All premises where cooling towers and evaporative condensers are situated must register with the local authority under 'The Notification of Cooling Towers and Evaporative Condensers Regulations 1992'. For a summary of regulations relating to cooling towers visit the legislation website.

    To notify us of any cooling towers or evaporative condensers on your premises or, to tell us about a change to any existing cooling towers or evaporative condensers on your premises visit GOV.UK cooling tower notification.

    For a list of fees and charges view our fees table.

  • Dog control orders

    Following the introduction of The Fouling of Land by Dogs (Chorley Council Area) Order 2007, we have introduced three new dog control orders.

    These are:
    • THE DOGS ON LEADS (CHORLEY COUNCIL) ORDER 2012 – which makes it an offence for a person in control of a dog not to have that dog on a lead on certain areas of land
    • THE DOGS EXCLUSION (CHORLEY COUNCIL) ORDER 2012 – makes it an offence for a person in control of a dog or an owner of a dog to allow the dog onto certain areas of land
    • THE DOGS ON LEADS BY DIRECTION (CHORLEY COUNCIL) ORDER 2012 – allows authorised officers to direct persons in charge of a dog to put that dog on a lead in any area open to the public. It would be an offence for the person to ignore that direction

    A consultation period was undertaken and the decision to introduce the orders was made by the council's executive cabinet in June 2012. The dog control orders came into effect on 23 July 2012 and are available to download.

  • Food hygiene ratings

    Our new food ratings scheme gives food businesses a hygiene rating of between 0 and 5 based on their last food safety inspection. All food premises in Chorley are included within the scheme. You can view food hygiene ratings online.

    The aim is to give the public information about the hygiene standard of food premises in Chorley but also to encourage improvements in standards. There are around 700 food premises in Chorley from butchers to bakers and restaurants to takeaways who have received their ratings and these should be displayed on the premises

    What the scores mean
    A business will get one of the following ratings:
    5 = Very Good
    4 = Good
    3 = Generally satisfactory
    2 = Improvement necessary
    1 = Major improvement necessary
    0 = Urgent improvement necessary

  • Land drainage

    Land drainage is complex and is primarily a private matter between adjoining landowners. We are the nominated land drainage authority and have some enforcement powers to make landowners carry out works to prevent serious internal flooding of domestic dwellings. Some watercourses are classed as 'controlled' and the Environment Agency will ensure that they are properly maintained and take action against those found polluting or obstructing the flow of water.

    Riparian ownership
    Other watercourses are classed as 'ordinary' and these are the responsibility of the adjacent landowners. This is known as riparian ownership. If your property backs onto an 'ordinary' watercourse you and the person who owns the land on the opposite bank will be responsible for the upkeep of that stream, brook or ditch for the length running along your boundary.

    If you have surface water flowing onto your land you are responsible for installing suitable drainage to accommodate this flow of water. Therefore if an adjacent property installs land drains or hard surfaces their land, resulting in more water flowing onto your land, you cannot take action against that person, and must carry out your own works as required, even if that pushes the problem onto your neighbour. This is because no one owns the water, which will always find its own path. You can download our land drainage policy

  • Lost / found animals

    Dogs and cats
    We keep a record of all dogs and cats that are reported and reunite them with their owner where possible.

    • We will collect stray dogs and take them to our holding kennels
    • We will not collect stray cats
    • Please tell us if you have reported your animal lost and it is found

    Please contact us to report any lost or found dogs and cats .

    If you think that we may have collected your dog contact us or during office hours. If you wish to report a stray dog out of hours please call: 01257 515142

    Fees and Charges
    If a stray dog has been taken to the kennels, the following fee will need to be paid before it can be released:
    • Kennelling fee - £10 per day
    • Reclamation fee -£80.00 plus any kennelling/transport and any veterinary fees incurred. Full payment must be paid prior to return of your dog,Chorley Council does not operate a payment plan or concessionary payment.

    Dealing with dead animals 
    Please contact us to report an animal that has died in a public space. We will make all relevant checks to identify the owner of the animal in order to inform them and will arrange the removal of the animal.

  • Neighbourhoods

    Some of the actions carried out on a day to day basis in the borough by our neighbourhood officers include
    • Routinely patrolling, visiting and inspecting animal related areas and premises:
    • Tackling dog fouling by issuing fixed penalty notices to people who do not clear up after their dogs
    • Making sure stray dogs and animals not on a lead on a highway are seized and impounded
    • Making sure dog breeding premises, riding establishments, pet shops and zoos are inspected at least annually for licensing purposes
    • Attending dog shows and other events
    • Maintaining information boards and signs at parks, recreation grounds and on public highways
    • Providing stray dogs with emergency first aid treatment
    • Enforcing the Dangerous Dogs Act in partnership with the police
    • Working in partnership with local vets, local dog clubs, animal rescue organisations and the Dogs Trust

  • Nuisance

    If you have problems with noise, smells, dust or intrusive light then we may be able to help. In order for us to carry out a full investigation we require your details and the address of the premises about which you are complaining. We will also need your help to gather evidence about how the nuisance is affecting you.

    Making a complaint
    You can download the nuisance information leaflet+.
    If after reading the nuisance information leaflet you still want to make a complaint, contact us.

    We may find that after our investigation there is not enough evidence for us to take formal action. However, you may still take private action to resolve an issue that you believe is causing a nuisance.

    There are also a number of issues that we are unable to deal with under our nuisance legislation, such as noise in the street from people or vehicles, one off events or parties, cooking smells from domestic premises, overgrown gardens and accumulations of  certain types of rubbish (building materials, wood, furniture etc.).

  • Pest control

    We will treat:
    • Rats (inside or outside)
    • Mice (in the home)
    • Ants (in the home)
    • Fleas
    • Bed bugs
    • Cockroaches
    • Wasps/hornets

    We will not treat:
    • Birds
    • Squirrels
    • Moles
    • Rabbits
    • Snails and slugs
    • Bees 
    • Bats – contact the bat society (see Useful information below for contact details)
    • Foxes

    Pest control services are also available from private companies at a competitive rate.

    Pest treatments are available from local DIY shops where you should seek the advice of the staff and read all instructions.

    There are many species of ant, the most common of which is the Black Garden Ant, which is usually found in houses, foraging for food. These ants nest in the soil, under paving stones or in the footings of walls where the nest entrance may be distinguished by small piles of fine earth which have been brought out.

    Ants seldom bite. Apart from their general nuisance value in houses, they call attention to themselves in particular by their swarming mating flight on a hot sunny afternoon in July or August when they may be seen in vast numbers.


    If it is possible to find the nest, using over-the-counter insecticide powder, gel or spray at the entrance can sometimes control small infestations. Insecticide powder, gel or spray applied in a strip along the outside walls, can also provide a barrier.

    The colonies finally die out but others may appear in time and the exercise may have to be repeated. Large infestations may require a combination of methods and you may need to seek professional assistance.

    If insecticides are used you should follow the instructions carefully. Chorley Council Pest Control does not offer a free service for treatment of ants. This is a chargeable service, which is usually confined to the insecticide treatment of internal infestations.

    Identification of Mortar/Masonry/Mining Bees
    These bees are small bees with a similar shape to a wasp - they are frequently confused with wasps. They are active during April, May, and early June with the peak of activity in May - too early to be wasps.

    Mortar or Masonry bees are slightly smaller than honey bees but similar in appearance. Like all bees they are important pollinators of plants, but unlike honey bees and bumble bees they have no workers and have no collective nest.

    Mortar bees excavate chambers in soft mortar joints in brick walls (approximately 20mm deep) and mining bees will excavate chambers in soft/sandy soil. Although they are solitary they do excavate their chambers close together and thus give the impression of being a colony and occupying the same habitat. Despite popular belief mortar/masonry bees do not damage brickwork and mortar, and only take advantage of existing decay.

    These solitary bees:
    • Are harmless (do not sting)
    • Are beneficial
    • They do not pester people, and
    • They do not damage buildings

    They look much like honey bees but are generally a little hairier. Most calls received by Environmental Services in late April and May for bee/wasp problems are in fact solitary bees.

    Mortar bees are beneficial insects and do not sting and the Council does not, therefore offer an eradication service.

    Contact us to book a pest control appointment.

    Morning visits take place Monday to Thursday between 9am and 12.30pm. Afternoon visits take place between 1pm and 6pm. We cannot give a specific appointment time.

    Fees and Charges
    • Non Residential: First visit £ 56.50
    • Non Residential: Re-visits (each visit) £ 31.50
    • Residential: Insect pests £ 41.00
    • Treatments for rats and mice is carried out free of charge for residential properties only

    Please note:
    • The charge is for the cost of the visit and assessment of the wasp nest - it is not for the treatment and therefore any fee is non-refundable where a visit has been made. 
    • Refunds will only be given where the appointment is cancelled at least 48 hours prior to the appointment time.

    What to do before your pest control visit
    • Prior to the pest control visit, any affected areas should be cleared of furniture, vacuumed and made accessible.
    • In the case of rented accommodation, tenants and landlords should tell one another before a visit.

    Treating the pests
    • Due to the nature of the treatment used, it can take up to 14 days from the first treatment to get rid of  rats or mice
    • Its difficult to give a definite length of time for treatment as the nature of the work means that some jobs may take longer than others
    • Repeat visits may be required to fully treat the pest

    What to do if you are not sure what the pest is
    Leave a sample at our Union Street offices and we will identify the pest and recommend the best course of action.

  • Unauthorised Gypsy Roma and Traveller encampments 

    From time-to-time Gypsies and Travellers will travel into the Chorley area and set up an encampment on a piece of land. We have developed a partnership approach in response to unauthorised encampments and is committed to working with partner agencies, local politicians, businesses, the settled and travelling community to ensure that a consistent and appropriate response to encampments is taken. 

    Our partnership response is determined by who the owner of the occupied land is. Should the land be owned by the Local Authority the responsibility for dealing with the encampment lies with the Authority and they will determine what action to take. However, if the land is privately owned whilst  we and partner agencies will provide support, the responsibility for dealing with the encampment lies with the land owner and we will advise them to seek legal independent advice before taking any action.

    When an unauthorised  encampment is identified, we will visit the site with partner agencies and carry out an assessment which takes into account the local environment, the welfare requirements of the travellers and impact the encampment is having on the settled community. We will also ask the travellers to abide by a code of conduct whilst they are staying in the local area.

    A multi-agency meeting is organised with partner agencies and where applicable the landowner and based on the information discussed at this meeting an action plan which can include the use of eviction powers is agreed. Throughout the partnership response a communication strategy and reassurance operation which involves the travellers, local politicians, the landowner and the settled community is carried out. 

  • Useful information

    Cats Protection:
    • Blackburn - 01254 580642
    • Preston - 01772 748788
    • Bolton - 0161 724 5118

    • Cats in Crisis - Bamber Bridge - 01772 498053
    • RSPCA advice line - 0300 1234 999
    • Bat Helpline - 0845 1300 228
    • British Pest Control Association 
    • Pigeon Advisory Service
    • Urban Wildlife Society