Keeping the Borough clean, tidy and looking its best is something we are passionate about. We have a team of specialist people taking care of our parks and open spaces to make sure they're cut regularly and planted seasonally.

There is an ongoing programme of investment to improve our grounds maintenance and the annual bedding displays throughout the Borough.

We aim to keep the Borough tidy and clean the streets on a regular basis, each street will be cleaned once every eight weeks. We also empty bins and remove accumulations of rubbish from our land.

We install and maintain street furniture, this includes litter bins, dog waste bins and benches.
  • Cold weather

    More information on the weather and gritting can be found by visiting the LCC winter weather information. You can also follow updates on our Twitter feed for the latest information.

    When the temperatures are freezing we would encourage you to loosen the contents of your bin when putting it out for collection so the rubbish doesn't get stuck. Either shake the bin or leave it out in the sunlight should we get any!

  • Grass cutting and flowerbeds 

     Grass cutting, pruning and flower bed maintenance of Council land is carried out on a rota across the Borough.

    • We will cut the grass on all our land and also land owned by Lancashire County Council. This includes public open spaces, parks, town centre, memorial gardens and highway verges.

    • We will not cut grass that is privately owned or on properties/estates owned by bodies other than us. 

    You can view Council maintained land in the My Maps section of My Chorley.

  • Leaf fall and blocked grids

    Leaf fall
    During autumn and when leaves are falling we clear leaves by sweeping the highways and park areas that we are responsible for. Footpaths, public spaces and play areas are cleared as a priority. We do not sweep private property or un-adopted roads. We aim to deal with requests within two working days. You can report fallen leaves online. 

    Blocked grids
    Blocked grids and drains can be reported to Lancashire County Council.

  • Pavements, roads and highways

    Lancashire County Council has responsibility for highways and pavements. This includes:
    • Bollards
    • Dropped kerbs
    • Obstructions and spillages
    • Potholes
    • Private Streets
    • Works/work men causing a problem on the road

    Gritting is also done by Lancashire County Council except for Council car parks which may be gritted in severe cold weather.

    You can report a highways problem to LCC online. This includes problems with potholes, grass verges, blocked grids and drainage issues.

  • Street furniture

    We own various items of street furniture including:
    • Litter bins
    • Dog waste bins
    • Bus Shelters
    • Benches
    • Memorials
    • Street lighting - Lancashire County Council

    (Please note, some items are owned by Lancashire County Council or other organisations)

    Items of street furniture that are damaged and may cause injury will be dealt with as a priority e.g. exposed sharp edges, electrical parts, loose or broken glass.

    You can report a problem with street furniture online.

    You can view Chorley Council street furniture in the My Maps section of My Chorley.

  • Street naming and numbering

    With increasing development in and around Chorley, it is vital that the emergency services, the Post Office, utility services, other organisations and the general public have an efficient means of locating and referencing properties. Street naming and numbering is there to ensure any new streets and buildings are named and numbered in a logical and standardised way.

    New streets and developments
    To apply for new street names and / or postal addresses, download our street name and numbering form and return it to us, along with a site location plan and street layout. Developers are encouraged to suggest street names in accordance with the guidance notes.

    We are now taking a more pro-active approach and developers and customers will receive an application form and guidance notes once planning permission for development / change of use of a property has been granted.

    A list of Street naming and numbering charges is available to download.

    Useful Information

    Named houses (no postal number allocated)
    If your property has a name instead of a postal number and you wish to change the name, you need approval from us.

    Houses with postal numbers and names
    If your property has a postal number and you want to give it a name as well, you do not need approval. However, the name may only be used informally and will not be registered by us. Replacing a postal number with a name causes confusion for postal deliveries and the emergency services. You can display the name on your property and use it alongside the postal number in the address, but your property will always be identified by the number.

    Allocation of new postal addresses and new streets
    Once a new postal address or street name has been allocated, we will contact Royal Mail, who are responsible for the allocation of postcodes. Royal Mail will not allocate a postcode until they have received formal notification from ourselves of a new street name or address. On receipt of the postcode, we will then inform the developer or occupier as appropriate. We will also inform other interested parties of the new address or street name. These include our departments, the emergency services and other organisations.

    Renaming/numbering of streets
    On rare occasions it may become necessary to rename or renumber a street. This is usually only done as a last resort when:
    • There is confusion over a street's name and/or numbering
    • A group of residents are unhappy with their street name
    • New properties are built in a street and there is a need for other properties to be renumbered to accommodate the new properties
    • The number of named-only properties in a street is deemed to be causing confusion for visitors, the delivery or emergency services

    Existing residents will be contacted and their views taken into account. We will also consult the Royal Mail for their position on the issue. To change a street name we will ballot the local residents on the issue. Hopefully there will be 100% support, but we require at least a two-thirds majority to make the change.

    Renaming of houses or businesses
    If you wish to rename your property, then please complete an application for change of house name and return it to us - there is a £50 charge for this. If you have received planning permission for a change of use of a business or just wish to change the name of an existing business, please complete and return the application for a change of business name to us. By informing us of a change of name, we can keep our records up to date. This in turn will keep the Royal Mail and emergency services up to date with any address changes. It is the responsibility of the property owner to inform Land Registry of a house / property name change approval.

    The contact address for properties in Chorley is:
    Land Registry Lancashire Office
    Wrea Brook Court
    Lytham Road
    PR4 1TE
    Telephone 01772 836700.

    We are not responsible for the assignation of postcodes to addresses. The Royal Mail does this. Any queries regarding postcodes can be dealt with by the Royal Mail by calling 0906 302 1222 (Postcode Enquiries), or via their website.

    All new street names and addresses are allocated according to British Standard 7666. For further information, please contact us.

    Fees and charges
    A full list of fees and changes is available in the 'Street naming & numbering application form' and guidance notes under the 'Download It' section.

  • Trees and hedges

    We are responsible for the management of trees and hedges on Chorley Council land. These are likely to be around play areas, parks and cemeteries. If the tree is not on land owned by us then you will need to contact the land owner. The Land registry may be able to help you identify the owner.

    Trees on grass verges may be owned by Lancashire County Council. You can find out who owns the land by checking the land ownership in the My Maps section of My Chorley. If the tree is on a neighbours land, you should speak to them directly.
    You can report a tree problem online.

    What we will do
    In the main, we will only carry out work if the tree is dead, dangerous or diseased. If there is a problem with our tree, such as over hanging branches or roots disturbing a property then we will inspect and assess the tree. Where appropriate, we will carry out work to remove the overhanging branches. This will be discussed and agreed with the property owner. 

    Over-hanging vegetation
    Lancashire County Council are the Highways authority. Any tree/vegetation related issues affecting highways will be reported directly to them.

    Useful Information
    Tree preservation orders are in force to protect certain trees in the Borough and therefore we may not be able to carry out requested works. 

    Other possible land owners for trees not on council land:
    • LCC: 0300 1236780 
    • CCH: 01257 414917
    • Places for People: 0800 4320002/01772 666000
    • Progress Housing: 01772 450600
    • Buckshaw Village Management: 01772 643700 

    Trees that are blocking light
    Chorley Council will assess requests against cost, available resources, benefit and/or detrimental impact upon the tree.

    Trees that are considered to be interfering with TV channel reception
    We will not remove these and we suggest that you contact a reputable aerial company as this is regularly the reason for poor channel reception.

    What we do in emergencies 
    If the tree is in a public place and has loose or hanging branches which are an immediate threat to life, we will operate a same day response. All other tree situations are not considered an emergency. If further action is required, we will let you know in person when we come to make an assessment of the tree or by telephone.

    For more information our Tree Policy is available to download.

  • Tree preservation orders

    When the modern planning system was established under the Town and Country Planning Act 1947, Local Planning Authorities (LPAs) were given the power to make a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) if it was "expedient in the interests of amenity to make provision for the preservation of trees or woodlands in their area of jurisdiction."
    The aim of a TPO is to protect trees which make a significant impact on their local surroundings and make it an offence to cut down, top, lop, uproot, wilfully damage or wilfully destroy a tree without the planning authority's permission. This is particularly important where trees are in immediate danger.

    Trees covered by TPO's
    All types and species, including hedgerow trees, but not hedges, bushes or shrubs. The TPO can cover anything from a single tree to groups of trees and woodlands. It will also cover trees in a conservation area. Although the Town and Country Planning Act does not define the term 'tree', for the purposes of the legislation, the High Court has held that ‘a tree is anything which ordinarily one would call a tree’.

    How to find out if a tree is covered by a TPO
    You can view TPO's in the My Maps section of My Chorley. An official search of the local land charges register can also be made before you purchase a property, which should reveal the existence of a TPO, or whether your property is in a Conservation Area. Make sure your solicitor tells you if any trees are protected.

    How to get trees protected
    Contact us giving your name, address, the location of the trees (including any named roads or nearby buildings) and the reasons why you think the trees should be given protection. Our officers will then examine your request and if successful a Tree Preservation Order will be made.

    • A TPO is normally made without giving notice to the land owner. This is because the order does not become valid until it is received by the owner. An unscrupulous person having prior knowledge that a TPO is about to be served would legally be within his or her rights to fell the trees before taking receipt of the order
    • To enable a tree owner to make representations to us, there is a 28 day period after the order is served during which objections may be registered and a further five months (six months in all) during which discussions may take place between us and the tree owner to agree any amendments
    • Confirmation of the order takes place automatically after 28 days if no objections are made, or within the six month period
    • After confirmation, no further alterations to the order are possible