We have now started the main construction of the Market Walk shopping centre and wanted to update you on what will be happening when over the coming weeks. The key dates are:
Opening of the extension – scheduled for early December 2019Union Street works
We will be carrying out major work on Union Street and a series of diversions will be in place while this work takes place. The town centre is very much open for business during this work, which will improve the appearance of Union Street and make it more pedestrian-friendly. It is running slightly behind schedule due to the wet weather we had in early June and issues we have encountered under the surface.
The remaning programme of activity is as follows and you can see the diversion routes on this graphic
• Union Street will become one way for traffic (east to west) for its full length between the by-pass and Park Road
• Areas of work will continue on the southern side of Union Street
• Access to the library will be via High Street and Cleveland Street with vehicles able to cross the road to the library car park
• Union Street will be one way for traffic (east to west) between Clifford Street (the by-pass) and Fellery Street
• Areas of work will be on the northern side of Union Street
Friday 5 July (for three nights) - view layout graphic
- this work will no longer take place on these dates.We will update once we have a new updated programme.
• Union Street will be closed in both directions between Clifford Street (the by-pass) and the entrance to the library car park (pedestrian access will be maintained)
• Work will take place between 7pm and 6am
• The work will consist of planing, surfacing and lining – some of this work will be noisy but we will do what we can to minimise the disruption
• The contractor will facilitate emergency access for residents during the closure