Toggle menu

Occupied property Council Tax discount and exemptions

Single person Council Tax discount

Your Council Tax bill is based on at least 2 adults living in a property. You may be able to get a 25% discount off your council tax bill if: you live on your own or the other people in your household are under 18 or not counted for Council Tax

Student Council Tax discount and exemption

You can get a 25% discount on your Council Tax if, apart from the student(s), there is only 1 person over the age of 18 living in the property.

Council Tax disability reduction scheme

If there is a room or other extra space in your property that is needed by a disabled occupant, the disability reduction scheme may help you to get a reduction in your Council Tax.

Severely mentally impaired Council Tax reductions

A 25% discount might be applied if only 2 adults live in your property and 1 of them has a severe mental impairment of intelligence or social function.

Care leavers Council Tax support grant

Lancashire County Council (LCC) provide support grants for care leavers (aged 18-25) who: are living independently, are liable for Council Tax, satisfy LCC's qualifying conditions.

School, college leavers or child benefit Council Tax discount

You might be entitled to a Council Tax discount if someone in your household has recently left school or college.

Apprentice and youth trainees

If you or someone who lives with you is an apprentice or a youth trainee, you may be entitled to a 25 % discount off your Council Tax. If there are only apprentices and trainees at a property, there is a 50 % discount.

Under 18 occupier exemption

Households where everyone is under 18, do not have to pay Council Tax and can apply for an exemption.

Carers Council Tax discount

There are 2 types of carer (defined by Council Tax legislation), the professional carer and the unpaid carer or relative. Either could be entitled to a Council Tax discount provided the criteria is met.

Diplomats and visiting armed forces exemptions

information on Diplomats, Visiting Forces and Members Of International Headquarters and Defence Organisations Council Tax exemption

Armed Forces Council Tax exemption

Living accommodation for UK armed forces which is owned by the Secretary of State for Defence is exempt whether occupied or not. Armed forces personnel deployed on operations overseas, who normally pay Council Tax, can claim a tax-free payment on the cost of their Council Tax, which is paid directly by the Ministry of Defence.

Residents in hostels, night shelters and care homes

View information on Council Tax if you are a resident in a hostel, night shelter or care home

Annexe discounts and exemptions

Annexes are areas of living accommodation attached to your main dwelling, or they are situated within the grounds of the main dwelling, which have been separately banded for Council Tax.

Job related second home discount

A 50% discount may be available to individuals who live in job-related dwellings but who are liable for Council Tax on another property

Council Tax discount for people in detention

You may be entitled to a discount on your Council Tax if someone who would normally live in your household has been detained.

Council Tax discount for members of religious communities

If you are a member of a religious community and apart from you there is only one adult living in your home, you can apply for a 25% discount on your Council Tax. If you live on your own, you will be entitled to a 50% discount off your Council Tax bill.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email