Toggle menu

Student Council Tax discount and exemption

Student Council Tax discount

You can get a 25% discount on your Council Tax if, apart from the student(s), there is only 1 person over the age of 18 living in the property.

For example, a single parent living in a property with an adult son or daughter who is a full-time student will get a 25% discount on their Council Tax.


Student Council Tax exemption 

You could be exempt from paying Council Tax if you are:

  • a full-time student living in a property on your own
  • a full-time student living in a property solely with other full-time students.


You are classed as a student under Council Tax rules if you are: 

  • on a university or college course for 24 or more weeks a year for which they have to study at least 21 hours a week during term time
  • 18 or 19 years old and on a course that is not a course of higher education (A level standard or equivalent ), lasts at least 3 months and for which they have to study at least 12 hours a week and  typically tuition is carried  is usually carried out between 8am and 5.30pm
  • a student nurse or student midwife
  • a foreign language assistant (for example, in a school).


Apply for student Council Tax discount or exemption

To apply for the discount or exemption, you will need to contact your college or university and ask them to supply you with a student exemption certificate to upload with the application form.

Apply for a Student Discount or Exemption

Halls of residence exemption 

Halls of residence for students are exempt provided the accommodation is owned or managed by a prescribed educational establishment. The accommodation must be provided mainly for students, which does not prevent part being used to accommodate staff or other persons.

If you think you might qualify for any of the above exemptions or discount, please send your supporting evidence to


The information provided is intended as guidance only and is not a full statement of the law. 

There are various discounts that you may be able to claim to reduce your bill. If you claim a discount and your circumstances change you must let us know within 21 days of the change or face a penalty.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email