Toggle menu

Register to vote - crown servants and British council employees

You can still register to vote if:

  • you are working outside the UK as a crown servant
  • you are working outside the UK as an employee of the British council
  • you are married to, or are the civil partner of, a crown servant or British council employee and you are accompanying them during their employment abroad

To register to vote you will need your national insurance number, so please have this to hand before you start.

Register to vote


During your registration you will be asked if you would like to vote by post or by proxy, however, this does not automatically make you one of these types of voters. You will be sent a separate paper application form in the post which you must complete and return as soon as possible so that your preferred method of voting can be arranged.   

If you do not complete and return your form, the only way you will be able to vote is by attending the polling station linked to your last registered address located in Chorley.

Remember, postal votes can be affected by problems with international post systems. It cannot be guaranteed that a postal vote will arrive in time for you to complete and return it by the day of the election. Appointing a proxy is the best way to make sure you can cast your vote.


Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email