Toggle menu

High hedges

High hedges are dealt with under Part 8 of the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003.

Can the council do anything about my neighbour's hedge?

A complaint about a neighbour's high hedge can in some circumstances be made to us. Only if you have tried and exhausted all other avenues for resolving a hedge dispute can you ask us to investigate your complaint. 

Our role is not to mediate or negotiate between the complainant and the hedge owner but to decide on whether the hedge is adversely affecting the complainant's reasonable enjoyment of their property. 

In doing so, we must take account of all relevant factors and must strike a balance between the competing interests of the complainant and hedge owner, as well as the interests of the wider community. 

Making a hedge complaint

If you are considering making a high hedge complaint you should read the hedge complaint guidance on the GOV.UK website first. This explains when we can get involved and what will happen if we do.

The current cost for submitting a complaint is £500, this fee can be paid by calling 01257 515151.

If the circumstances justify it, we will issue a formal notice to the hedge owner which will set out what they must do to the hedge to fix the problem, and by when.

To make a complaint please complete the  high hedge complaint form (PDF) [84KB]  and return it by email to or by post to: Planning Department, Civic Offices, Union Street, Chorley, PR7 1AL.


Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email