Toggle menu

Housing association rented property repairs

If you rent a property from a housing association, your landlord is always responsible for repairs to:

  • the property's structure and exterior
  • basins, sinks, baths and other sanitary fittings including pipes and drains
  • heating and hot water
  • gas appliances, pipes, flues and ventilation
  • electrical wiring
  • any damage they cause by attempting repairs

Your landlord is usually responsible for repairing common areas, for example staircases in blocks of flats. Check your tenancy agreement if you are unsure.


Your responsibilities

You should only carry out repairs if the tenancy agreement says you can.

You cannot be forced to do repairs that are your landlord's responsibility.

If you damage another tenant's flat, for example if water leaks into another flat from an overflowing bath, you are responsible for paying for the repairs. You are also responsible for paying to put right any damage caused by your family and friends.


Rented property in need of repair

Your tenancy agreement with your landlord gives you the right to get repairs done within a reasonable time.

In the first instance you should contact your landlord directly to order the repair. If you are not satisfied with your landlord's response, you can make an official complaint. Your landlord's website will tell you how to do this.


Chorley Community Housing properties
0300 111 1133 

Jigsaw Housing Group
0300 111 1133

Places for People
0845 850 9571 or 01772 667002

Onward Properties
0300 555 0600

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email