Toggle menu

Self-build and custom-build homes

Self-build or custom-build is the process of designing, planning and building your own home. 

There are several routes to building your own home and the level of involvement you have can vary greatly depending which way you choose.

Some people wish to manage the design and construction process and do the building and labouring work themselves while others commission a contractor to do it for them. Projects range from individual homes on single plots to group projects on larger sites. 

We are required to research demand for self build plots in the area and from 1 April 2016 the Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 obliges us to maintain a list of people and groups interested in building their own homes. 

The register will be used to see how many people are interested in building their own homes in the borough and to develop policies to support the construction of more self-build and custom-build homes. Registration does not however guarantee that a suitable plot will be identified or become available. 

The latest register can be viewed below:

Custom and Self Build Register November 2023 (PDF) [116KB]


Apply for self-build or a custom build home

You do not need to be on the register for self or custom build, however if you are registered you may be informed if suitable sites become available. 

To join the self and custom build register you will need to meet the following criteria. This applies to individuals looking to take on a project or each individual in a group (association):

  • you are aged 18 or over 
  • you are a British Citizen, a national of an EEA State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland
  • you are looking to acquire a serviced plot of land in Chorley borough to build a house to live in as your sole or main residence.

Complete the self build registration form (PDF) [317KB] . Complete form 1 if you are an individual and form 2 if you are an association. 

Completed forms will have to be accompanied by copies of the evidence documents specified on the form. Please do not forget to include copies of these documents for identification purposes (these will need to be certified by a solicitor or the post office) showing your eligibility to be included on the register.

Once you have completed the form you can return to us by email to

Alternatively you can post to: 

Planning Policy Team
Chorley Council
Civic Offices
Union Street


Other useful websites

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email