Toggle menu

Caravan site licensing

The Caravan and Control of Development Act 1960 prohibits the use of land as a caravan site unless the occupier holds a site licence issued by us. 


Conditions and/or requirements

Licences have conditions which include: 

  • the type of caravan, for example, residential, static holiday or touring 
  • the permitted density (the number per acre/hectare) and the spacing between caravans 
  • water supply and drainage, lavatory and washing facilities 
  • fire precautions and electrical installations.



There are some exceptions: 

  • a caravan sited with the curtilage of a dwelling and its use is incidental to the dwelling. This means it cannot be occupied separately 
  • a single caravan sited for not more than 2 consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months 
  • up to 3 caravans on a site of not less than 5 acres for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months 
  • sites occupied by exempted organisations such as the Caravan Club 
  • sites of up to 5 caravans certified by an exempt organisation and which are for members only 
  • sites occupied by the local authority. These are usually gypsy sites 
  • sites for temporary and special purposes such as caravan rallies, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites and travelling salesmen 
  • a site for tents only can be used for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.

If you are a caravan site occupier you should have a licence already but you should check that your name, the site name and address is correct and up-to-date. Also check that the licence corresponds with your planning permission. If not, you should send us the licence for re-issue.

If you have recently become a caravan site occupier licences are transferable to a new occupier but the law requires us to give consent for the transfer. You should send us the licence with a request for transfer and we will either endorse or re-issue it.

If you are a potential site occupier you or your legal advisor should check that all the land used for siting caravans has planning permission and that the details correspond with the site licence. If you wish to change the use of the land to a permanent caravan site use you must have planning permission before a licence can be issued.

Apply for a licence 

An application must be completed and accompanied by a site plan at 1:500 scale showing the layout of roads, caravans and facilities.

Complete the  caravan site licence application (PDF) [155KB]  and return to us by email to

View licensing public register.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email