A non-dependant is someone aged 18 or over who normally lives with you such as an adult son or daughter, other relative or a friend.

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support is reduced for each non-dependant living in your home. For non-dependant couples, the income of both members of the couple are added together to find the total gross income. The reduction in your benefit is called a non-dependant deduction.

Non-dependant deductions 2024/2025 (PDF) [122KB]

Non-dependant deductions 2023/2024 (PDF) [426KB]



Update cookies preferences