If you want to know more about the benefit decision we have made, or if you think the decision is wrong, you should get in touch with us within 1 month of the date of the decision by email to contact@chorley.gov.uk.

Alternatively you can write to us by post to: Benefits Department, PO Box 13, Chorley, PR7 1AR.

You can ask us to reconsider our decision without making a formal appeal. 

Reconsidering a decision

When you ask us to look at a decision again, we will check that the decision is correct. If we find that the decision is wrong, we will send you a new decision notice.

If the decision is correct, we will send you a letter telling you that we cannot change it. The letter will confirm our original decision and give a detailed explanation of the decision.
If you still disagree with our decision, you have 1 more month to appeal, from the date of the new decision letter.

Make an appeal for housing benefit. 

You can make an appeal directly following the decision notice or following a reconsideration of the original decision. An appeal must be made within 1 month of the date of the decision notice or 1 month of the reconsideration notice.

Your appeal must be made in writing to us by email to contact@chorley.gov.uk. Alternatively you can make your appeal in writing and post to: Benefits Department, PO Box 13, Chorley, PR7 1AR.

Your appeal letter or email must be signed by you.

You will need to tell us which decision you are appealing against (the date will be on the top of the decision letter) and you should give reasons for your appeal.

You should also supply any further information or evidence you have which may support your appeal . 

We will check whether we believe the decision is correct based on the information and evidence that you provide in your appeal.

If the decision is incorrect based on your appeal and a new favourable decision is made, you will be notified of the decision, your appeal will lapse and your appeal rights will start again against the new decision.

If the decision remains unchanged or a less favourable decision is made, your appeal will automatically be passed to HM Courts and Tribunals Service, who are independent of the council for a decision.

We will send you an appeal submission, which will give the full reasons for the decision made, the law used to make the decision and the evidence used to make the decision.

A copy of this document will also be sent to HM Courts and Tribunals Service, whom on receipt of the document will contact you and ask you how you wish to proceed with the appeal including whether you wish to attend an oral appeal hearing to put forward your case.

The appeal hearing

The appeal will be heard by an independent tribunal. View more information on appeal hearings on the GOV.UK website.

If you need independent help with your appeal you can contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau or if you want help to fill in forms or write letters about your appeal contact the Lancashire County Council Welfare Rights Service. They can represent you and they will sometimes go with you to the tribunal that hears your appeal.


Update cookies preferences