Toggle menu

Council Tax Support

The content on this page has been translated to support British Sign Language (BSL) users. View BSL translation

Why not sign up today for paperless Council Tax bills! Did you know it costs us around 50p to send a bill through the post? You can make your life easier, save paper and save us money by signing up to paperless bills. It's easy to sign up and only takes a few minutes.

Council Tax Support can help towards the cost of your Council Tax charge if you are on a low income or in receipt of other benefits. You can claim if you are working and your earnings are low.

View our  Council Tax Support Scheme 2024/2025 (PDF) [1MB]

View our Council Tax Support Scheme 2023/2024 (PDF) [1MB]  

The amount of Council Tax Support you may receive depends on:

  • who lives with you 
  • the amount of money you have coming in 
  • other benefits you receive 
  • any savings you have.
  • if you receive full Council Tax Support and you have a bill showing a balance of £0.00 this means you have nothing to pay for this year as long as your circumstances don't change.  


Making a claim for Council Tax support

You can claim Council Tax Support online.

When completing the form, it is best to have certain details to hand such as:

  • identity and national insurance numbers
  • income and earnings
  • savings and capital
  • household details
  • rent and tenancy details

If you have difficulty getting any of the information required, please let us know by completing a general enquiry form.

We may also ask to see proof of this information to support your application.

Make a Council Tax support claim


How Council Tax support is calculated

Council Tax Support is calculated on a means tested assessment and the level you are awarded depends on the amount of your Council Tax liability, your household income, savings, and your household needs.

You can use the Council Tax Support calculator for an estimate of how much Council Tax Support you could receive. 
You can appeal to us if you are dissatisfied with any decision we make under the new Council Tax Support scheme. View more information on making an appeal.


Change in circumstance

You must report changes in your circumstances that may affect your Council Tax Support award to us, and you must do so straight away.

View more information on change in circumstances.


Backdating Council Tax support 

If you wish to backdate a claim for Council Tax Support, you can do this as long as you show 'good cause' for the delay in claiming. View more information on how to make a backdating claim.


Council Tax support overpayment

An overpayment is when more benefit is awarded than someone is entitled to (this can happen when somebody does not tell us about a change in their circumstances). This includes any housing benefit that has been paid to a claimant or their landlord or any Council Tax Support which is paid direct to your Council Tax account.

Most overpayments are recoverable, which means you will have to pay the money back.

View more information on Council Tax support overpayment.


BSL translation

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email