Toggle menu

Damp and mould in housing


One of the most common causes of damp and mould in houses is condensation.  Adequate ventilation and heating are needed to prevent the problem, but we know that this can be difficult to manage for several reasons.

View more information on  condensation in your property and how to deal with the problem (PDF) [6MB]  from the Property Care Association.

Worries about the cost of heating

If you are worried about rising heating bills, make sure you are getting all the help you are entitled to from Government schemes. View more information on the help for households campaign on the GOV.UK website.

Energy efficiency improvements

Improving the energy efficiency of your home can also help.  If you own your own home or rent from a private landlord you may be able to get help towards the cost of energy efficiency measures such as loft insulation or a new boiler. 

View more information on support and advice that is available to keep you warm, safe and healthy in your home or contact Cosy Homes in Lancashire on 03306 061 488 (local rates apply) to see if you qualify for support.

If you rent your home, your landlord must make sure they meet energy efficiency standards. View more information on home energy efficiency.

Portable heaters and electric blankets

If you are using portable heaters or electric blankets, make sure they are in good order.  You can read safety advice from Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service.

Do not be tempted to follow 'hacks' you might read online - these can be dangerous; already this winter the fire service have dealt with several incidents caused by home- made plant-pot and candle room heaters. 

Solid fuels

If you use solid fuel, make sure you know how to use it safely to avoid the build-up of harmful gases - have adequate ventilation and use the right sort of fuel.  View a practical guide to open fires and wood burning stoves (PDF) [150KB] .

Faulty windows and ventilation

Make sure you can open your windows properly and that ventilation units are working.  Contact your landlord to report faults, or if you own your own home and need help with minor repairs you may be able to get help through our handyperson service.

Other causes of damp

If condensation has been ruled out, the damp in your home could be due to a structural problem such as blocked gutters causing rain to seep into walls, a broken roof tile, or rising damp.  These types of damp tend to leave a well-defined damp patch or 'tide-mark'.  Defects like these must be dealt with properly.  If you rent your home, contact your landlord or letting agent to report the problem; if they do not act, contact the council to raise a complaint.  You can find out what help we can offer in the housing standards section of our website.

If you own your home, check whether you can claim for repairs under your buildings insurance.  If you need to employ a contractor to carry out repairs, find a reputable tradesman by asking for word-of-mouth recommendations from people you trust, or use the Lancashire County Council safe trader scheme

Other support available to keep warm and well this winter

If you need other general support to keep warm and well this winter, take a look at our cost of living support page where you will find links to sources for help.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email