Gypsy Roma and Traveller encampments

Report unauthorised encampments on council or private land

In the first instance, we will require a location or address of an encampment which you suspect may be on land without the permission of the council or landowner. This should be reported to the Police on 101 and the location will be logged.

You can also report an encampment to us by email to or by calling 01257 515151, once received we will then investigate the location and who is the landowner. 

Enforcement and welfare

Where unauthorised encampments occur on district or borough land, we will be responsible for making the ultimate decision whether the encampment will be tolerated or evicted, as well as to ensure the welfare needs of the Gypsies and Travellers are met.

We will also be responsible for any clearance of land that is necessary after the encampment moves on. We provide services to Gypsies and Travellers, as to the wider community, for example, housing and planning advice and community facilities. 

The counties, districts and boroughs along with other statutory agencies continue to implement the protocol for managing unauthorised encampments.

Update cookies preferences