Toggle menu

Grid, drain or flooding problems

Gullies and drains

As part of our responsibility for sweeping the roads, we are also responsible for ensuring the drains and gullies remain free from waste on the surface. Blocked gullies can lead to an increase in surface flooding.

Request street sweeping


Internally blocked drains

Lancashire County Council (LCC) are responsible for internally blocked drains, any issues with internally blocked drains should be reported to LCC.

In order to report a blocked drain or gully to LCC you will need the following information:

  • the location of the drain
  • a description of the issue
  • your email address
  • up to 5 photographs (photographs are optional - only take a photo if it is safe to do so)

Report a blocked drain to LCC



Flooding issues are dealt with by multiple agencies, including the Environment Agency, United Utilities and Lancashire County Council (LCC). LCC has duties as the lead flood authority. 

If there is an immediate risk to life because of flooding, then you should call 999.

If flood water is entering your house, or is halfway across the road then please contact LCC using the numbers below:

  • Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm (excluding bank holidays) 0300 123 6780
  • out of office hours: 101 (local Police non-emergency number)

You can view more information on flooding on the Lancashire County Council website.


Protect your property from flooding

It is your responsibility to protect your property from flooding. You can buy sandbags or similar flood resilience measures from builders' merchants. 

View United Utilities advice on what to do if you have been flooded.

View flood alerts and warnings on the GOV.UK website. 


Widespread flooding 

Emergency procedures will begin where flooding appears to be extreme. In response to a severe incident or acute localised flooding of residential properties we will, where possible, transport available sandbags to areas of most need.

Sandbags become the property of the owner/occupier once issued, but we recognise that some people may struggle to dispose of used sandbags so we would consider assisting with their removal after the event on a case by case basis.

If an emergency is declared due to flooding in your area, then we are responsible for providing rest centres. If you need to be relocated to a rest centre, please contact us on 01257 515151.


The Flood Hub

The Flood Hub has been designed to be a one stop shop for flood information and resources to support householders, businesses and communities across the North West in becoming more flood resilient. There are multiple sources of guidance and information that gives an overview of flood resilience and it's many related topics. You will easily be able to find all the information you need either within the Flood Hub website or by visiting one of the linked websites within the Flood Hub site.

Visit The Flood Hub website.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email