Toggle menu

Housing standards

Safety in rented property

Landlords must keep rented properties safe and free from hazards. View information on what safety measures are required in rented properties.

Private rented property repairs

Your landlord is responsible for keeping the property free from health and safety hazards. If you have a concern about health and safety that you have reported to your landlord but no action has been taken, you can report it to us.

Housing association rented property repairs

If you rent a property from a housing association, your landlord is always responsible for repairs.

Houses of Multiple Occupancy (HMO)

If your property is an HMO you may need a licence to rent it out. A separate licence is required for each property. You must also reapply if you licence has expired. You should apply even if you are unsure as you may be fined if you do not have a reasonable excuse.

Energy efficiency standards

View information on energy efficiency standards

Damp and mould in housing

View information and support on managing damp and mould in housing

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email