Toggle menu

Single person Council Tax discount

Your Council Tax bill is based on at least 2 adults living in a property. You may be able to get a 25% discount off your council tax bill if:

  • you live on your own
  • the other people in your household are under 18 or not counted for Council Tax.

This reduction is known as a single person discount.

You can only claim a single person discount for your main home. You cannot claim it for a second home.

If someone who normally lives with you is temporarily away from home, for example working away or on holiday and only comes back occasionally, your property still counts as that person's main home and you would not be eligible for single person discount in these circumstances.


Apply for single person discount

To apply for single person discount, the Council Tax bill for the property must be in your name and you will need your Council Tax reference number, this can be found on your Council Tax bill. 

You will be asked to provide the following details:

  • who is no longer living at the address
  • where they are now living, if relevant.

If you do not provide all the information needed, we may be unable to complete your application or we may need to contact you for more information.

If the bill is not in your name, please complete a general enquiry form.

Apply for single person discount


What happens next?

If your application is successful, we will process the change and you will receive a new Council Tax bill. You can view your new bill using your online Council Tax account.

If we cannot process your application, you will receive an email advising you to contact us.


Change in circumstances

If you are no longer the only person aged 18 or over living at the property you must tell us within 21 days of the changes.

Amend single person discount


If you have a student living with you 

You can get a 25% discount on your Council Tax if, apart from the student(s), there is only 1 person over the age of 18 living in the property.

View more information on student discounts.


The information provided is intended as guidance only and is not a full statement of the law. 

There are various discounts that you may be able to claim to reduce your bill. If you claim a discount and your circumstances change you must let us know within 21 days of the change or face a penalty.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email