Toggle menu

Your Home and You

The Your Home and You (PDF) [5MB]  brochure gives details about the help, support and advice that is available to keep you warm, safe and healthy in your home.  The same information is available below in an accessible format.

Help paying your energy bills

If you are struggling to pay your energy bills your supplier may be able to help. There may also be grants available to help you. Contact your energy supplier.

You can also speak to Citizens Advice who can offer emergency budgeting support and help you apply for grants.

Contact Citizens Advice on 0800 144 8844

Energy Switch

Life is challenging for us all right now, but we offer an Energy Switching support service in partnership with Citizens' Advice, where an expert will review your energy bills and tariff information and help you to switch to a more competitive tariff and/or energy provider.

Contact Citizens Advice direct on 0344 245 1294

Energy Hardship Fund

If you live in a Housing Association property you may be entitled to some help.

Contact your Housing Association who can access fuel vouchers.

Cosy Homes in Lancashire (CHIL)

We work in partnership with CHIL who offer access to energy efficiency grants, new and replacement boilers, affordable heating solutions, energy advice and support on a range of money saving energy measures, which will help you heat and insulate your home.

Contact 03306 061 488 (local rates apply) or visit the Cosy Homes in Lancashire website. You can also email

Did you know?

  •  Bleeding your radiators every year can efficiently maximise the heat in your home, air doesn't conduct heat as well as water.
  • The ideal temperature of your living room should be 21 degrees and your bedroom 18 degrees.

Handy Person Service

Working in partnership with Preston Care and Repair, we currently offer a low cost or free handy person service to enable you to get certain DIY type jobs around the home done safely and professionally.

Contact: 01772 204096


Minor Adaptations

You may benefit from equipment, handrails or other adaptations that will help you get in, out and around your home safely.

Contact Lancashire County Council Adult Social Care on 0300 123 6720 and ask for an Occupational Therapist Home Assessment.

Affordable Warmth Assistance

We are committed to assisting residents to achieve warmth in their homes. 

We offer free boiler services over winter months for eligible households. This service is available from October 2022 to the end of March 2023.

Contact us on 01257 515151 to find out if you qualify.

Safe Trader Scheme

Lancashire County Council's Scheme helps residents find reputable traders for property repairs, home improvements, gardening services, mobility aids and other services around the home.

Contact 0303 333 111 or visit the Safe Trader website.

Annual Flu Vaccine

Contact your pharmacy or GP for more information.

The Flu vaccination is especially important this year because more people are likely to get flu as fewer people will have built up natural immunity to it during the COVID-19 pandemic.

If you get flu and COVID-19 at the same time, research shows you are more likely to be seriously ill.

Winter Fuel Payment

Most payments are made automatically between November and December. You can claim Winter Fuel Payment on the GOV.UK website.

You may still be able to get a Cold Weather Payment or the Warm Home Discount Scheme, even if you do not qualify for Winter Fuel Payment.

Household Support Fund

If you are struggling to eat or keep warm you may be able to receive support.  View more information on the household support fund

Free fire safety check

Contact Lancashire Fire and Rescue on 0800 169 1125 or visit the Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service website.

Carbon Monoxide Alarms and Testing

This is important if you have a gas or real fire. These are cheap to buy and easy to install, and you may even be able to get one free from your gas supplier. If you are in a rented property, you will more than likely already have one.

Priority Services Register with your energy and water suppliers

If you have an interruption to your gas, electricity or water, your supplier will ensure you receive emergency supplies. Contact your supplier for more information.

Batch cooking and freezing for ease

For information on amazing recipes visit healthier families on the NHS website.

Have you had your COVID vaccination?

Booster doses of the COVID-19 vaccine are available. It is important to have your booster to make sure you remain fully vaccinated.

You can book online for your booster or your first and second doses if you have not yet had them. Some places are even offering drop ins.

Book a COVID-19 vaccination

It is also important to keep testing.

NHS 111 - Get Medical Help

NHS 111 is free to use and is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

The online service provides the same service as the telephone service and can be quicker to access. If you need urgent care they will arrange for you to be seen.

Contact 111 or visit the NHS 111 website.

Respiratory conditions

If you have a respiratory condition such as asthma or COPD it is even more important that you keep well.

If you are not having regular reviews you should contact your care team to discuss this.

This is also helpful information on the NHS website. Just use the search box to type in your condition.

Your Pharmacy

What community pharmacies do

  • Flu and other vaccinations
  • COVID-19 lateral flow tests
  • Repeat prescriptions
  • Prescription delivery
  • Urgent medical supply
  • Disposal of unwanted medicine
  • Help with healthy lifestyles
  • Signposting to other healthcare providers
  • Support for self-care

You can use the Find a pharmacy search on the NHS website to find your local pharmacist.

Better Health...Better Self

Struggling to lose weight?

"Chorley Council's healthy lifestyle advice service can support you to lose weight and feel great."

Making changed to your diet and getting more active improved both your physical and mental wellbeing.

Want some help? Look no further

We will give you the knowledge, motivation, and supportive environment to put you on the right track to Better Health....for a Better Self.

The service includes:

  • Initial consultation and evaluation
  • 10- week programme of small group face-to-face sessions
  • Monthly follow-ups and peer support for a full year

Ask your GP or Healthcare practitioner for a referral or find out more on our Better Health...Better Self webpage or by calling 01257 515151.

*over 18's only

*not suitable if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have: a diagnosed eating disorder, an underlying medical condition contributing to obesity; significant comorbidity or complex needs which are identified by a GP of Healthcare professional.

Your health and wellbeing is important to us

There are lots of organisations that can help.

View more information on health and wellbeing or contact us on 01257 515151

Social Prescribing Service

  • Feeling alone or isolated?
  • Suffering with a physical health condition?
  • Have a low mental health condition or struggling with your emotional wellbeing?
  • Struggling with family life?

We can support you and help you overcome any barriers you may be facing.

Contact us for personalised support specifically tailored around what matters to you on 01257 515151

Crisis Team

If you need urgent help as you are in mental distress, then please call the Crisis Team's trained medical professionals who are able to provide assessment and referrals to appropriate services. You can also call the Crisis team if you need access to services or advice about someone else who needs treatment or support. This is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Telephone: 0800 953 0110

Wellbeing Helpline and Texting Service is also available Monday to Friday 7pm to 11pm and Saturday 12pm to Midnight, and offers emotional support. Please call if you want to chat about your mental health or are lonely.

Telephone: 0800 915 4640 or by texting "Hello" to 07860 022 846

View more information on the Crisis Team Support Service.

Chorley Community Helpline

As part of Chorley Together we have been working with community groups and organisations to support you with things like emergency food, shopping, prescription collection, someone to talk to, family support and financial help and advice.

Contract Freephone number: 0800 368 8452

Age UK

Life is challenging for us all right now, but for many older people things are particularly difficult. Age UK is there for you with expert information, advice and friendship.

Contact: 0300 303 1234

or visit the Age UK Lancashire website.

NHS Volunteer Responders

If you need help with prescription collections, shopping, someone to talk to or help with transport to medical appointments.

Contact: 0808 196 3646 or visit the NHS Volunteer Responders website.

Digital Help

The Internet has been a lifeline for so many over the last two years for shopping, keeping in touch with friends and family, seeking medical advice, exercising the brain, dealing with bills and find out about and applying for benefits.

But there are so many people who, for one reason or another, are not able to access this support.

If you or someone you know cannot get online because you do not have a device, an internet connection or because you need someone to show you what to do, Chorley Council are here to help.

Contact: 01257 515151

Need anything else, there is lots of information on our website. Visit our communities webpage or contact us on 01257 515151

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email