Coat of arms
The census of 1881 showed that the population of Chorley had reached almost 19,472.
By Royal Charter, which is granted by the Sovereign to legitimise an incorporated body such as a town, Chorley became a borough with 4 wards, 8 aldermen and 24 councillors. There were 42 nominations for these seats.
Along with the charter the borough acquired a handsome coats of arms incorporating the blue cornflowers of the Chorley family's coat of arms, yet the motto chosen BEWARE generated much curiosity. In 1988, the motto was amended to BE AWARE.