Pet shop licence
To run a business selling pet animals, you need a licence from us. This includes all commercial selling of pet animals, including pet shops and businesses selling animals over the internet.
Pet shop licence evaluation criteria
The following criteria will be considered when the application is being evaluated:
- animals will be kept in suitable accommodation, for example in regard to temperature, size, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness
- adequate food and drink will be provided to the animals and they will be visited at suitable intervals
- any mammalian animals cannot be sold under 6 to8 weeks depending on the type of animal
- steps are taken to prevent disease spreading among the animals
- adequate fire and emergency provisions are in place.
Apply for a pet shop licence
To apply for a pet shop licence please complete and return the email@example.com us by email to
Cost of a pet shop licence
The cost of an application is currently £78, this should be paid directly to us at the time of the application.
You can pay the fee online using our secure online payments system, or over the phone by calling 01257 515151.