Toggle menu

Are you eligible for your first dose of the Covid vaccine?

Don't hesitate to get your vaccination. Find out if you are eligible and book

Club premises certificate

A club premises certificate is required by any qualifying club that undertakes "qualifying club activities", as defined in part 4 of the Licensing Act 2003.

A qualifying club will be one where the club and its assets are held for the mutual benefit of its members. The law on such clubs can be complex and appropriate independent legal advice should always be obtained prior to an application being made.


Apply for a club premises certificate

View  the new club premises guidance for detailed information on making applications.

Applications must be returned to us with all required accompanying documents and the fee, and copies sent to the appropriate responsible authorities.

Application forms are prescribed by the legislation, as are the responsible authorities who should be consulted prior to applications being made, particularly those for variation or new licences.

The information available in the guidance notes is not a substitute for prospective applicants obtaining their own specialist legal advice - please note that we cannot provide legal advice about your application.

Apply for a Club Premises Certificate


Club premises

If a club is not a qualifying club under the 2003 Act or also undertakes "licensable activities" (defined in part 3 of the 2003 Act), an application for a new premises licence will be required.

All qualifying clubs wishing to serve alcohol or provide regulated entertainment have been required to have a club premises certificate.

Please note that the law has changed significantly and entertainment in clubs is now a regulated activity under the legislation and all applications should include them if they are to take place. All club registration certificates previously issued by the Magistrates' Court under the Licensing Act 1964 expired on 24 November 2005.

Any extensions of hours or temporary events at the club premises, or other premises being used by the club for regulated activities should be the subject of Temporary Events Notices.

A club premises certificate is required for any premises where any of the following take place: 

  • supply of alcohol to members and bona fide guests
  • regulated entertainment

Regulated entertainment is defined as:

  • a performance of a play
  • an exhibition of a film
  • an indoor sporting event
  • a boxing or wrestling entertainment
  • a performance of live music
  • any playing of recorded music
  • a performance of dance
  • anything similar to music or dancing

A club premises certificate will not authorise the sale of alcohol, provision of regulated entertainment or provision of late night refreshment to anyone who is not a member of the club or who is a bona fide guest under the rules of the club. If such sales or provision are anticipated, either premises licence should be obtained or a Temporary Event Notice given.


Responsible authorities

View contact information for relevant responsible authorities.


Data protection

Please note that we may be required by law to disclose to the appropriate authorities, from time to time, further information relating to applications and licences for the purposes of law enforcement and the prevention of fraud.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email