Toggle menu

Household Support Fund

The Household Support Fund has been made available to Councils in England to help with rising living costs. It is to help vulnerable people and families with essential items over the coming months.

The funding is not directly linked to any other benefit or circumstance but is aimed at supporting those who are most in need.

Support available

It can help with short-term living costs such as food, energy and essential items. The types of requests that will be not be covered by this fund include:

  • items that are not essential
  • applications from those with sufficient income or savings
  • requests for support where this is the responsibility of the landlord

We work with partner organisations, including many voluntary organisations, to provide support and link residents with other sources of advice and help. For example, you may be offered a referral for advice with finance, debt and/or welfare benefits.

Full details on how to access support are below. Please select the appropriate organisation below based on your current circumstances.

Utilities Support

Citizens Advice Lancashire West

Citizens Advice Lancashire West support residents who are struggling with electricity, gas and water costs.

They recommend that for help with fuel costs the best place to start is with your provider. However, if you have done this and still need help then please apply. To apply, please complete the Citizens Advice Household Support Fund application

This is not an emergency payment and could take up to 10 days to process. If you are in a crisis with your electricity or gas, you must follow these steps to get support:

  • Credit meter (where you pay your bill monthly or quarterly) contact your supplier(s) to discuss the options available to you.
  • Pre-payment meter (where you top up your meter using phone app, top up card etc) contact your supplier(s) and ask for emergency credit. If your supplier cannot help, then you need to call the National Debtline on 0808 240 4420

You can apply for a fuel voucher on the Citizens Advice website but please note applications can take up to 3 days to process.


Food and other essentials for Families

Home-Start Central Lancashire

Home-Start Central Lancashire is based in Chorley and offers family support services, helping families with children through challenging times.

They offer a home visiting support service for issues such as:

  • post-natal depression
  • early childhood development
  • isolation
  • challenging behaviour and much more. 

More information is available on the Home-Start website or Home-Start social media pages.

Telephone: 01257 241636



Food and other essentials for individuals and couples

Gateway - Chorley Help the Homeless

Food parcels, toiletries and small household items can be collected from The Gateway by drop in or contacting them via telephone or email.

The Gateway, Friday St, Chorley, PR6 0AA
Mon, Tues, and Thurs - 10am till 2pm

Fri - 10am till 1pm

Telephone: 01257 220077


When calling, leave a message including your name, the number of adults and children in your household and your phone number.


Food support only

Chorley Buddies Food Clubs

You can access up to £25 worth of food supplies per week to help support you and your household for a small membership fee.

Three venues are available with set weekly times for collections. Clubs also have a social activity with free refreshments:

Every Tuesday - St Joseph's Parish Centre - 10.30am

Every Wednesday - Coppull Methodist Church - 10.30am

Every Thursday - Buttermere Community Centre - 10.30am

If you would like to know more about membership and register, please contact Chorley Buddies:

Telephone: 01257 542367


*Please note that as of September 2022, Chorley Buddies has paused memberships for the Good Food Clubs*


Clayton Food Club - Emerging Futures

Help with food and essential items for people in Clayton Brook and the surrounding areas.

You could access up to £25 worth of food supplies per week to help support you and your household, as well as other non-food essential items Thursdays and Fridays between 11 till 2pm.

The café opens on Thursday and Friday, 10.30am until 3.30pm for food and drinks for a small donation.

Please drop in, or contact the Food Club:


Telephone: 07778 153708


Chorley United Reform Church / The Hollinshead Centre

Providing a mixture of hot meals, small food parcels and vouchers, with more information available on the Chorley United Reformed Church website.

  • A free lunch is available at The Meeting Place, Wednesdays and Thursdays 10am-2pm.
  • A free hot take away meal is available on Thursdays, 5pm from the porch at the end of Byron Street.

If you would like to receive support, please contact:

Telephone: 01257 760066 and select option 2 or




Living Waters Foodbank

Requests for a food parcel must be made at least one day before collection, quoting Household Support Fund. They can also help with small essential items.

Collections are available Tuesdays and Fridays 10am - 2pm.  For more information contact:


Telephone: 07889 747045 

Address: Living Waters Church, 33-35 Bolton Street, Chorley, PR7 3AB 


 St Laurence's Church - Food support

Support available is:

  • emergency food parcels
  • evening and lunchtime meals Monday - Friday
  • Monday Open Table, 5:00 - 5:30pm, for a two course meal and refreshments
  • Taste Café, Thursday and Friday 11am - 2pm. Soup and refreshments are available for a voluntary donation. 
  • Talking Tables, Thursday 11am.

If you cannot access support in the evening and weekends and are urgently in need of food, please contact St. Laurence's Church using the contact details below:

Telephone: 07763 226275



Important information on accessing support

This funding is for Chorley residents in financial difficulty, so you may be asked to provide proof of residency or other supporting documents, but our delivery partners (above) will work with you to make this as easy as possible.

Our delivery partners will talk to you about your situation and work out the best way to help you, including offering different or longer-term support where needed.

You can access support for food, essentials, and fuel support, but you should only access the fund through one delivery partner.  

Your details will be used to contact you about your support or refer you to one of the other delivery partners listed above if they are better suited to support you.

We will also cross check the details provided by you, between delivery partners to prevent misuse of the fund. As Chorley Council are a delivery partner, we may also receive your details to provide support as part of this fund.

We may collect information to help us target support in the future, and may ask if you would be willing to provide follow up information about how the fund has supported you.


Accessing wider support

You may find other forms of help and support within our Health and Wellbeing pages. 


General information on support with cost of living

View a summary of general guidance on cost of living support  on the GOV.UK website and within the governments cost of living factsheet.

If you need additional help or have further questions please contact Chorley Council on 01257 515151 or email  and use the description household support fund in your email.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email