Dog breeding premises licence
You must have a dog breeding licence if either:
- you run a business that breeds and sells dogs
- you breed 5 or more litters in a year and sell any of the puppies.
It is an offence to keep a breeding establishment for dogs without an appropriate licence.
Apply for a dog breeding premises licence
To apply for a dog breeding premises licence please complete the email@example.com return it by email to
On deciding whether to grant a licence for the first time we will arrange for a local vet and our animal welfare officer to inspect the premises
This visit is to ensure that your dogs:
- live in suitable accommodation
- receive adequate food, water and bedding
- get enough exercise
- are transported in safe and comfortable conditions
- are protected in case of fire or other emergency
- are protected from the spread of disease.
Your licence will be valid for 1 year.
You must renew your licence before the expiry date each year if you wish to continue as a dog breeder .
Cost of a dog breeding premises licence
There is an application fee of £78 for a dog breeding premises licence. You can pay via credit or debit card using our online payments system or by calling 01257 515151.
There is also a cost for the initial vet inspection. This fee depends on the size of the premises and number of animals involved. This will be paid directly to the local veterinary surgeon.
View dog breeding guidance on the Kennel Club website.