Toggle menu

Occasional Use Notices

There are 2 separate methods by which occasional betting activities or temporary gambling facilities can be authorised in locations which do not have the appropriate gambling premises licence; Occasional Use Notices and Temporary Use Notices.


Give an Occasional Use Notice 

There is no fee associated with giving an Occasional Use Notice. Occasional Use Notices (OUN) are intended to allow holders of Gambling Commission operating licences to provide betting facilities at tracks for short periods, without the need for a betting premises licence, where the event on which the betting is taking place is of a temporary nature and is infrequent. Examples of such locations would include point to point racecourses, motor racing venues and some cricket grounds.

Occasional Use Notices can only be used for 8 days or fewer in a calendar year in 1 location. Provided that the notice will not result in betting facilities being available for more than 8 days in a calendar year, there is no provision for counter-notices or objections to be made.

A notice must be served on us by the person who is responsible for the administration of events on the track or by the occupier of the track. A copy of the notice must also be served on the police for the area where the track is located. 

The notice must specify the day on which it has effect; notices may be given in relation to consecutive days, so long as the overall limit of 8 days is not exceeded in the calendar year. 

Download the Occasional Use Notice (PDF) [143KB] . Once complete please return to us by email to Alternatively you can send by post to: Licensing Team, Civic Offices, Union Street, Chorley, PR7 1AL


Who can provide betting facilities under an Occasional Use Notice? 

Only holders of Gambling Commission betting operator's licences can provide betting facilities under an occasional use notice. 

Please note that betting operators cannot provide gaming machines at tracks by virtue of an Occasional Use Notice. Gaming machines can be provided by betting operators only through betting premises licences, which refer to a specific licensed area.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email