Toggle menu

Non-Dependants and your benefit claim

Why not sign up today for paperless notifications! Did you know it costs us around 50p to send a letter through the post? You can make your life easier, save paper, and save us money by signing up to paperless notifications. It's easy to sign up and only takes a few minutes.

A non-dependant is someone aged 18 or over who normally lives with you such as an adult son or daughter, other relative or a friend.

Housing and Council Tax benefit is reduced for each non-dependant living in your home. For non-dependant couples, the income of both members of the couple are added together to find the total gross income. The reduction in your benefit is called a non-dependant deduction.

  Non-dependant deductions 2023/2024 (PDF) [426KB]

Non-dependant deductions 2024/2025 (PDF) [122KB]


There are some exceptions when we will not make a non-dependant deduction. 

We do not make a deduction for non-dependants who live with you if you or your partner are:

  • registered blind
  • in receipt of Attendance Allowance
  • in receipt of Constant Attendance Allowance 
  • in receipt of the care component of Disability Living Allowance (at any rate).

Or if the non-dependant:

  • is under 18
  • is under 25 and in receipt of Income Support of Job seekers Allowance (income-based)
  • is receiving State Pension Credit (either guaranteed or savings credit or both)
  • is receiving a Work Based Training Allowance
  • is in prison or similar forms of detention
  • has been in hospital for 52 weeks or more
  • usually lives elsewhere (but you will need to tell us their permanent address, otherwise we may still make the deduction)
  • is a full time student or student nurse (although a housing benefit deduction applies if the non-dependant works for 16 hours per week or more during the summer vacation).

In addition, there is no deduction from Council Tax Support if the non-dependant is:

  • an apprentice
  • severely mentally impaired
  • a carer.


Over 65's

If you or your partner are aged 65 or over, a deduction could be made if:

  • a non-dependant moves in (and a deduction would normally apply to them)
  • a non-dependant has a change in circumstances.

The deduction starts or increases 26 weeks after the non-dependant moved in or they have a change in circumstances.


Changes in your circumstances

Changes to your circumstances or the circumstances of someone who lives with you may affect your benefit entitlement.

You should report any change in your circumstances as soon as you can. If you do not report a change in your circumstances you may be overpaid benefit.

Report change in circumstances

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email