Any person who carries on licensable activity must do so under and in accordance with an authorisation. Licensable activities under the Licensing Act 2003 are:

  • supply of alcohol
    • sale by retail of alcohol
    • supply of alcohol for or on behalf of a member of a club
  • regulated entertainment
    • performance of live music
    • playing of recorded music
    • performance of a play
    • indoor sporting events
    • exhibition of a film
    • performance of dance
    • provision of boxing or wrestling
  • late night refreshment

In certain circumstances, entertainment is deregulated and so does not require an authorisation. Further information on when entertainment is deregulated.

View our statement of licensing policy.

Update cookies preferences