Toggle menu


View or comment on a planning application

The easiest way to view a planning application is through planning online, our database for planning applications.

Do I need planning permission?

Depending on the work you are doing you might need to get planning permission or building regulation approval, or both. It is important to find out if you need planning permission or building regulations before you make improvements or changes to a property.

Apply for planning permission

The easiest and quickest way to apply for planning permission is online through the planning portal. The planning portal is an external website used by local council's in England and Wales as part of the planning process. On the planning portal you will be able to register, complete your application form, upload supporting documents and pay fees online.

Planning application fees

You can view the costs of applying for planning permission using the planning portal fee guide or you can use the planning portal fee calculator.

Planning decision making process

View information on the planning decision making process.

Pre application advice

Pre-application advice is early discussions with agents and developers to facilitate acceptable development.

Weekly list of planning applications

We publish a list each week of applications that have been received by the planning department. You can view the list online.

Planning Committee

The Planning Committee makes decision on planning and related applications and is made up of elected councillors of Chorley Council.

Listed buildings and conservation areas

View information on listed buildings and conservation areas within Chorley.

Planning enforcement

We can accept a complaint about an alleged breach of planning control in writing, by email, by reporting online here , or in person at our offices . Please provide as much information as possible.

Protected trees

View information on protected trees, trees in conservation areas and how to apply to carry out works to a protected tree.

High hedges

View information about high hedges and how to complain about high hedges

Planning appeals

Planning appeals are dealt with by the Planning Inspectorate, which is independent of the council. There are strict deadlines within which an appeal must be made. More information about the process of making an appeal can be found on the Planning Portal website.

Planning history and conveyancing queries

You may wish to view the details of planning decisions made on a property or site in the past. This may be to inform future development proposals or you may need it if you are buying, selling or conveyancing a property. You may need to get a copy of a planning permission that has shown up on a local land charges search.

Lawful Development Certificates

A Lawful Development Certificate (sometimes called a Certificate of Lawfulness) is a legal document confirming that a proposed or existing development is lawful in planning terms.

Signs and advertisements

View information on signs and advertisements and how to apply for consent.

Street naming and numbering

You can apply to rename or renumber an existing property. We charge £50 per property for this process.

Planning policy

View information on planning policy

Vehicle Crossings - Dropped Kerbs

A vehicle crossing (dropped kerb) allows vehicles to cross the pavement from the road to a driveway of a house.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email