Toggle menu

Council Tax when somebody dies

We understand that notifying us when someone has died will take second place to the many other arrangements that have to be made; however, as soon as possible, a relative, friend or solicitor of the deceased should inform us about the death of an occupant of a property.


How will Council Tax be affected 

When a property had been occupied by a single person, who either owned or rented the property and that person dies, the property is exempt from Council Tax payment for as long as it remains unoccupied, and until probate is granted.

Following a grant of probate, a further 6 months exemption is possible as long as the property remains unoccupied and has not been sold or transferred to someone else. 

After the 6 months, a charge is payable whilst the property remains unoccupied. You can view more information on our empty property discount scheme.

Although we review the circumstances of unoccupied properties, you can help us keep our records up to date by confirming the date that probate is granted, and the sale details when they are known.


If you are dealing with the affairs of someone who has died, please advise us by completing a Council Tax Discount or Exemption application form.  You will need the following information.

  • the name of the deceased person and the date they died
  • the address where they lived
  • the names and addresses of any executors to the will of the deceased person
  • the name and address of an appointed solicitor if you want us to deal directly with a solicitor.

Apply for a Council Tax Discount or Exemption

Alternatively, you can view what to do when someone dies which explains steps that you need to take when notifying us that somebody has died.

Please do not worry if you cannot provide all of the information. If you are providing this information only a short time after a person's death you may only be in a position to give their name and address. Further information can always be provided once it is known.


The information provided is intended as guidance only and is not a full statement of the law. 

There are various discounts that you may be able to claim to reduce your bill. If you claim a discount and your circumstances change you must let us know within 21 days of the change or face a penalty.


Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email