Toggle menu


It is important to get help as soon as you have a problem. Our  have trained officers to help stop you from losing your home. They can also help you move to more suitable accommodation.

People sometimes think that homelessness just means sleeping on the street, but this is not true. You are classed as homeless if you have no permanent accommodation of your own so this could include:

  • sleeping rough
  • staying on the sofa or the floor at a friend's house
  • living in a hostel or refuge.

You may also be threatened with homelessness if you have your own home but are at risk of losing it for reasons, such as:

  • being asked to leave by your landlord
  • being asked to leave by your parents or family members
  • suffering domestic abuse or harassment
  • getting into rent or mortgage arrears
  • relationship breakdown.


Our homeless duties

We have a legal duty to complete an assessment for anyone who is homeless or at risk of being homeless within 56 days.

Following this we will agree a personalised housing plan for every individual based on the options available.

We will then provide support as detailed in the housing plan to prevent or relieve homelessness, which may include accessing support from a number of other services or agencies.

After the 56-day period we have a statutory duty to accommodate those who are:

  • found to be unintentionally homeless
  • eligible for assistance
  • in priority need
  • able to demonstrate a connection to the local area. 

If you are homeless or about to become homeless, we will try to prevent your homelessness by keeping you in your current accommodation wherever possible.

We can also advise you about different housing options including; private rented, social housing and supported accommodation. We may be able to secure  for you until something more permanent is found.


Homeless assessment and advice

To make an appointment for a homeless assessment or to speak to a member of our team please call 01257 515151 or email or call into our offices at the Civic Offices, Union Street, Chorley, PR7 1AL.  

Assessments will usually take up to 1.5 hours. 

Opening hours for advice is 8.45am to 5pm, Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays). 

If you are in need of emergency help outside of these hours, please call the out of hours team on 01257 515142.


Rough sleeping

If you are worried that someone might be sleeping rough and needs assistance with accessing support with housing. You can report a rough sleeper online using the street link online reporting system. Alternatively, you can contact us on 01257 515151 or by email at

Report a rough sleeper online

View information on our severe weather emergency protocol


Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email