Waste and recycling

We have made significant changes to your waste collections

There is now a new system for how we collect your waste:

The changes, which came into force on 1 May, are:


What’s it for?

Has it changed?

Collection day

Collection frequency

Green bin

Domestic waste (non-recyclable)


NO CHANGE (same as original calendar)

NO CHANGE (every two weeks)

Blue bin

Plastic bottles, glass bottles and jars and cans


NO CHANGE (same as original calendar)

NO CHANGE (every two weeks)

Brown bin

Paper and cardboard


Same day as blue bin but once every four weeks – residents need to check which recycling collection in the month this falls on at chorley.gov.uk/bins

Every four weeks

Grey bin

Garden waste

New bin – service only provided if people opt in

Same day as your blue bin

Every two weeks

The time that your bin is collected may be different than normal so please leave them out for 7am.

Watch the video explaining what the changes are.

Garden waste

You can opt in for garden waste collections at any time by clicking on the link in the 'do it online' section to the right hand side of this page. It is £30 per bin, per opt in year - if you sign up now you will be opted into the collections until 30 April 2018.

Brown bins

If you need a brown bin for paper and cardboard request one here.

If you have surplus brown bins that you want collecting request the removal here. Please leave the bin(s) somewhere accessible for collection.

If you'd like to know more about what the changes are you can read the letter that was sent to all households and view the FAQs below.
  • Garden Waste Collection Changes FAQs

    When can I sign up?

    You can opt in now here where you can pay the £30 charge. You will be taken through our MyAccount system where you will be asked to log in or register if you've not used the system before. If you'd prefer not to register an account you can continue as a guest.

    What if I don’t want to pay?

    It is a voluntary opy in service – if you don’t want to pay you don’t have to but you will not receive any garden waste collections. We'd encourage people to compost, take it to the tip or consider sharing with a neighbour and split the cost.

    Are there any concessions?


    Is this not already included in my council tax?

    Council tax does not cover all of our costs. The additional funding provided by Central Government is rapidly decreasing and Lancashire County Council is withdrawing the £1million subsidy we receive for recycling due to cuts in funding, which it is receiving. To protect and maintain this service a charge is being introduced.

    Will I still use my brown bin?

    No. You will receive a new grey bin.

    What do I do with my brown bin?

    We are changing the way we collect paper and cardboard so you should now be using your brown bin for  paper and cardboard, you can mix  them together. This will mean we can get rid of the green boxes and black pods. The change to how we collect paper and cardboard is based on feedback from residents. Your brown bin will be emptied every four weeks.

    Can I share a bin with a neighbour?

    Yes, as long as one of you takes responsibility and registers and pays for the service. 

    Can I still put the same things in my grey bin?

    Yes, garden waste but not food waste. Items that can be included are: leaves, weeds, grass cuttings, garden prunings, twigs and small branches, windfall fruit, straw and sawdust from domestic pets and cut flowers.

    I live in a flat/shared accommodation – what happens?

    You will need to speak to your neighbours or your landlord to see if they are willing to pay for future garden waste collections. 

    How many collections will I receive?

    You will receive a minimum 22 collections per year, which equates to around £1.30 per collection. There will be a gap between collections over the Christmas period.

    If I sign up part way through the year do I get a discount?

    No. The price is per bin per subscription year regardless of when you sign up. The subscription year runs from 1 May to 30 April.

    Will my collection day change?

    In order to ensure collection rounds are efficient it may be necessary to change your collection day but we will let you know if that's going to be the case.

    If I don’t want to sign up how can I get rid of my garden waste?

    You can take your waste to the tip or home compost. Those on certain benefits may be eleigible for a free composter - contact us for more details.

    How will the bin crew know I have signed up to the service?

    You will receive a sticker for your grey bin and the crews will have a list of properties that are signed up to the scheme.

    What happens if I move house?

    You must leave the grey bin at the property you have registered for the service for. If you move to another property already registered you will not need to do anything at your new property. If the new property is not registered you will need to sign up to the scheme from that address. We'd recommend that you pass the cost of the subscription on to the people buying your property.

    Can I get a refund if I cancel the service?

    Only within 14 days of receiving your terms and conditions. Following this period no refunds will be issued.

    Can I get a refund if my collection is missed?

    No. Missed collections are rare and there may be a reason why your bin hasn’t been emptied. If we do fail to collect your bin please report it at chorley.gov.uk and we will respond accordingly.

    I don’t currently have a garden waste collection. What do I do?

    Only properties that currently have a brown bin emptied can be signed up to the scheme.

    I don’t have garden waste in winter. Do I get a reduction?

    No. The charge is for a full year and we cannot reduce the charge based on the number of times the bin is used.

    I live in South Ribble but have my bins emptied by Chorley Council, what will happen? 

    All residents in South Ribble, for whose properties we empty the bins, will continue to receive fortnightly garden waste collections. As South Ribble is yet to introduce a charge for garden waste collections the cost will be met through an agreement we have with our neighbouring authority and those residents will not have to pay the £30 annual charge this year.

    Will this chargeable service increase fly tipping?

    We have consulted with other local authorities (4 of the 12 Lancashire councils already charge for this service along with many others across the country) and none have experienced a noticeable increase in fly tipping.

    Can I just put my garden waste in my domestic waste (green) bin?

    We would advise you not to. Putting it in your green bin will mean it will go to landfill, which may be more costly in the long term. It costs around £20 per tonne to compost if disposed of in the new grey bin but £120 per tonne if you put it in your green bin and ​it goes to landfill. We’d advising composting at home or taking to the tip if you only have a small amount of garden waste as this is better for the environment. You could also consider sharing a bin with a neighbour.

    Will you take extra waste at the side of my grey bin?

    No, only garden waste in your grey bin will be collected.

    Why not put up council tax instead of having a charge for garden waste collections?

    Not everyone uses our garden waste service so we thought the fairest way was to introduce a subscription-based charge. We are already proposing to increase council tax by two per cent this year (equivalent of 7p per week for an average Band D property). If we were to increase it any more we’d have to hold a referendum.

  • Paper and Cardboard Collection Changes FAQs

    What do the changes mean?

    Instead of a green box for card and a black pod for paper you will mix your paper and card in a brown bin for collection.

    How often will collections be?

    Collections will be every four weeks instead of every two weeks but you will have more capacity for your paper and card. Currently you have 95 litres of space emptied every two weeks, this will change to 240 litres of capacity emptied every four weeks.

    When do the changes start?

    The changes have already occurred.

    Will I get a new bin?

    You need to use your existing brown bin, if you require a new brown bin please order one online. There will be a charge of £30.

    Do I need to sign up for the service?

    No. If you have paper and card collected already this will continue.

    Will my collection day change?

    Check your collection calendar on the link above.

  • Asbestos disposal

    Asbestos must be disposed of appropriately at household waste recycling centres. The disposal of asbestos into general household waste bins is not acceptable due to the manual handling involved. More information about the correct disposal of asbestos and which household waste recycling centres accept it can be found on Lancashire County Councils website.

  • Assisted bin collection

    If you, or someone you know, has difficulty getting the wheelie bin to where it is collected from, and no one else is available to help, we can arrange for the crew to pull the bin out and return it back to where it is stored. The storage point can't be behind locked gates or in a garage, and we'll need to talk to you before we arrange the service. This service is free of charge.

    You can request a special waste collection online.

  • Clinical and sharps collection

    Clinical waste is collected every Friday. This needs to be arranged via a district nurse who will provide you with the necessary containers. The nurse will then need to contact us with details of your address before we can arrange the collection.

    Sharps are also collected on a Friday but you are required to contact us for every collection needed. The boxes are available from your GP or district nurse.

    You can request a special waste collection online.

  • Food waste collection

    Food waste from your kitchen now needs to go in your green bin rather than your grey bin.

    This is because as Lancashire County Council seeks to make savings, the special indoor composting facility using a controlled temperature necessary to kill bacteria in food is closing. The garden waste collected in your brown bin doesn’t need this high temperature treatment and will now be taken to an outdoor composting facility.

    LCC’s figures show that of the mixed food and garden waste collected, less than 1% is food and therefore the huge expense in treating food waste compared with garden waste cannot be justified.

    From 1 April 2016, please put your left overs from your meals, meat, fish and chicken bones, and your out of date food in your green bin for collection. Vegetable and fruit peelings can either go in your green bin for collection, or you can compost it at home.

    To find out more about home composting click the Get Composting link on the right of this page.

    To help reduce the amount of food you throw away, click the Love food hate waste link on the right of this page.

  • Large item collection

    Large items which do not fit in the normal bin can be collected separately for a charge.

    Items must be left at pavement level for collection. Items may include: Beds, tables, chairs and other furniture.

    Items not collected: Renovation waste such as rubble, wood, window frames and garden waste will not be collected. This waste should be taken to the tip( Household Waste recycling centre).

    Charity organisations such as Help the Homeless will take items of furniture or alternatively they can be taken to the local tip. Vans and some trailers require a tip permit. This can be obtained from Lancashire County Council.

    Fees for large item collections
    • ​Single item £17.50
    • Up to five items £31.50
    Note: Specific items will be counted as single items, for example a 3 piece suite will count as 3 items.

    Collections are available Monday to Friday. Our contractor can contact you to make arrangements. Specific collection times will not be given. Items should be left in the pre-arranged location with easy access and will be collected within 7 working days of the date of orders.

    You can request a large item collection online.

  • Missed bin collection

    If the bin was out for 7am on collection day at the collection point, then we will usually arrange for the bin to be emptied.

    The bin collection crew will normally return and empty the bin within 2 working days so you should leave your bin out or ensure it is in place for 7am at the collection point.

    Only report a missed collection after 3pm on the collection day, even if your bin is normally collected early in the morning, as the waste crew may still be out collecting.

    You can report a missed collection online.

  • Order bins and containers

    All bins are available in 2 sizes:
    • Small (140L) - for households that do not produce a lot of rubbish, generally no more than 2 people in the household
    • Medium (240L) – standard size for most households in the borough

    There is a charge of £30.00 per waste container. The bin is then your property and you can take it with you if you move house. Please use your brown bin for paper and card from 1st May 2017.

    The Council's policy is for one green refuse bin per household. If you require an additional refuse bin you will need to complete a waste audit pack and return it to the Council. 

    Note we no longer supply black pods for blue bins. 

    You can order waste or recycling containers online, under Do It Online, Order it.

  • Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE)

    Free collections of household WEEE

    What is WEEE?
    • WEEE is Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment and needs to be recycled separately from other waste.
    • If you have an old or unwanted household item such as a microwave, fridge, washing machine, or computer this is WEEE, basically anything with a plug or batteries.

    Chorley residents can now have WEEE items collected direct from your home free of charge. We have teamed up with Veolia Environmental Services and Recycling Lives to provide you with this free collection service.

    You can request a free household WEEE collection on our Do It Online section to the right of the page.

    The service is a doorstep collection service which means that the collection crew will call at your property to pick up the electronic or electrical items. Items must be left outside for collection. The crew will not uninstall items from within your home.

    Collections will be within 7 working days of the date ordered. Collections will be take place the following Tuesday or Wednesday. Items should be left in the pre-arranged location with easy access.

  • FAQs

    Why has my bin not been collected?
    Reasons why the bin may not have been collected:
    • Bin out on the wrong day
    • Bin not out by 7am
     Additional bags or bin overflowing
    • Wrong type of waste in bin
    • Bin not at collection point
    No access/obstruction

    What if I forgot to put my bin out?
    Your bin will not be collected until your next collection. However, you can take household waste to the household waste recycling centres.

    What if I put my bin out on the wrong day?
    Your bin will be collected on the next collection day.

    You can check your bin collection day online.

    My household bin isn't big enough - can you provide extra capacity?
    One household (green) bin is allowed and any extra waste should be taken to the household waste recycling centre. 
    If you have a valid need for more capacity such as a very large family, we will carry out a check on what you are throwing away to see if there is a way we can help you reduce it.

    A large bin may be offered but you will have to pay for this. More than one garden (brown) or blue bin is allowed.
    My bin is damaged - can I have a new one?
    You can report a damaged bin online. There is a charge of £30 for replacement green and blue bins. Replacement containers may not be brand new but will be of a useable standard.

    Where are my local recycling collection points?
    There are 23 recycling banks or 'bring sites' available across the Borough.
    The following items can be recycled at various locations:

    Consider taking textiles to local charity shops. Glass recycling facilities are also available at pub car parks in 18 locations across the Borough.
    Recycling collection points near you are available to view online.

    Can I compost at home? 
    Yes. Over half of the rubbish in most household bins can be composted instead of being sent to landfill. By composting at home you can turn your rubbish into a valuable conditioner to improve the structure, texture and aeration in your soil, helping your garden to bloom. Items such as fruit and vegetable peelings, tea bags, egg shells, cardboard and of course your green garden waste can all be composted.

    A home compost bin scheme is in operation throughout Lancashire. To find out more about composting or to order a bin visit www.getcomposting.com quoting reference LAN01L